More ?'s re: fiber optic cable to housing attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finished mine last night. I couldn't find the PVC to make the base so I used the plastic from the lid to an old DVD spindle. I will replace that when I can find something more durable, but I was running out of time. We leave for Roatan at 0530 tomorrow from Newark, NJ.

Thanks so much for the ideas. I rarely used my strobes because of sync problems, they fire every time now.

Finished mine last night. I couldn't find the PVC to make the base so I used the plastic from the lid to an old DVD spindle. I will replace that when I can find something more durable, but I was running out of time. We leave for Roatan at 0530 tomorrow from Newark, NJ.

Thanks so much for the ideas. I rarely used my strobes because of sync problems, they fire every time now.

Here is one more tip for the PVC base. Cut a 1"x3/4" piece of PVC. Then heat it with a heat gun (or a hair dryer set on high) for about 2-3 minutes until it becomes soft. Then press it against the strobe body till it cools (put a piece of paper between PVC and strobe to protect it). The PVC base will now have perfect curvature that matches the stobe. It makes it match the dual-lock perfectly.

All the best with your trip. Roatan is great and you will enjoy the diving (lucky dog!!)

Thanks for the tip. Made it to Fantasy Island, tired but with all gear and luggage. Diving tomorrow.

Hey there vimaldude,

Nice setup, I see you have the panasonic case, what camera are you using? I just bought the S&S YS-01 and was trying to figure out a good mask solution. I tried just the dual lock but your setup with the vinyl rain gutter (thanks noob) looks great. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

Cheers,

Just one more question vimalude.

Do you get any flash leakage from your internal flash with your setup?

Cheers,

Hey there vimaldude,

Nice setup, I see you have the panasonic case, what camera are you using? I just bought the S&S YS-01 and was trying to figure out a good mask solution. I tried just the dual lock but your setup with the vinyl rain gutter (thanks noob) looks great. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

Cheers,

I can't claim that innovation. I got that from another SB member here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/272579-inon-fiber-optic-adapter-canon-g10-wpdc28.html

Just one more question vimalude.

Do you get any flash leakage from your internal flash with your setup?

Cheers,

I just came back from a great dive trip to Philippines with my setup. I have an old Panny TZ1 with panny housing. The strobe worked very well and fired everytime.
Unfortunately, the Panny's internal flash died after 3 days (making the external strobe useless).

I have a new Panny ZS6 now. Just ordered the marine case for it.

Here is the link to some of my pictures from Philippines using this setup.

Picasa Web Albums - Vimal Parikh - Philippines

I didn't get any internal leakage from the camera's flash. The Plastic cover over the diffuser is thick enough to prevent any residual light getting out.

Thanks all for the help everyone.

I just got my mask built today and it works great on land, just need to try it underwater. Have to hit the pool soon for a test. 27 days to Thailand & Sipadan.
Here's some shots of my mask setup.

Attachments

• camera mask 003.jpg
    camera mask 003.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 234
  • camera mask 004.jpg
    camera mask 004.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 208
I, too, have a Canon camera and Canon housing (mine is the WP-DC28). Everything I read in your comments seemed very good until I got to the part that said you had limited success in Cozumel. I guess my question is whether the homemade mount and revised diffuser worked for you in the end?

I, too, have a Canon camera and Canon housing (mine is the WP-DC28). Everything I read in your comments seemed very good until I got to the part that said you had limited success in Cozumel. I guess my question is whether the homemade mount and revised diffuser worked for you in the end?

I never had issues with the mount to the housing, they were only with the strobe mount. Those were resolved with my new method.

Back
Top Bottom