Morrison Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beboandles

Contributor
Reaction score
does anyone know the contact # for Morrison Springs.I called the listed ones that I found on the internet but it was no longer in service.I understand that the state may have taken over the spring.Any info would be appreciated.I want to make a saturday trip somewhere near.If not there is always vortex.

Beboandles:
does anyone know the contact # for Morrison Springs.I called the listed ones that I found on the internet but it was no longer in service.I understand that the state may have taken over the spring.Any info would be appreciated.I want to make a saturday trip somewhere near.If not there is always vortex.

The place is not a staffed location like Vortex. So dive at your own risk. The local constabulary comes by ever so often and in the evening. There used to be a shop there, but no more. If you need gear better bring it. For me the dive price was exactly what I needed - FREE. There are also river level websites that you can visit to monitor the water level. Bugman can fill you in with the details on where and how long the water levels should be to have clear water. He can also give you pretty good directions. I know that from the I-10 exit for Vortex, instead of heading north towards Vortex, you head south for a few miles. Take the first left turn on a paved higway and then the first right turn. Again Mat the bugman can give you better directions. Have fun. Water temps stay about 68 year round.

Howard

H2Andy:
here's some contact info i found, not sure if it works:

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/springs/locator/Morrison.htm

Thats the site I was on.I had also found others but all w/the same info.
I think philmottek99and02 has the updated info.someone told me that they thought they had closed the shop down.diving free will work for me to!!!!! guess I need to find that river level site and find out when the the best level is to dive.
thanks for the link any way.

Its state owned and run by the county now. You won't be able to contact anyone, cause nobody's there.

Directions:
I-10 to Exit 96
South on Highway 81 for ~4-5miles
Left at Highway 181 for ~2 miles
Right at Morrison Springs road which will dead-end at the spring

http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=tae&gage=carf1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1

^^Closest water level marker

Water's gonna be a nice brown color until you hit the main cavern opening, where the water will clear out to gin clear.

thanks suprabugman.
the precise directions and the link are very resourceful.....seems like you may have dived this site a couple times.
have numerous dives to vortex and w/ divers den in pcb scheduled for end of april,in may and june but want to dive before april 21st.being from columbus ga I figured i coud make a quick day dive before then.it is between vortex and this one that i have never dove.

comparing the two,does any one have any suggestions?

You probably don't need to be in an overhead environment yet, and the basin at Morrison will be mucked up. You've done Vortex already.

Rent a canoe and dive Cypress :)

your right about overhead enviroment.my instructor/friend has discussed going there in the near future.guess that one can wait until then.
i looked up cypress springs but only found info about it being closed...so where do you rent the canoes?somewhere nearby or do you transport it to site?
dont get me wrong, i greatly enjoy vortex.i have 4 dives already planned there with a group in the next few months.i was just looking for somewhere new in the same approx area in between planned dives in the gulf.
thanks for sharing your knowledge!

More info on Cypress Spring please and thank you?
N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom