Morrison's Quarry is a Mess!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Quaker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We went up to the quarry today for our 1st dive of the season and found chaos. A huge hunk of rock had fallen into the quarry from the back wall and caused an awful amount of damage. When we got there was a back hoe and excavator on the "beach" rebuilding it. The lifeguard tower had been washed away and the walkway that defined the swimming area was tied up against the side of the quarry where the plane rests. David Morrison was there by the time we surfaced after our dive and he told us that he was there when the rock let go. A 5 feet high "tsunami" swept down the length of the quarry … he ran for it and made it to his truck and safety. The wall of water flooded the office and threw some of the BBQ tables into the car park as well as scouring the sand off the beach and spreading it around the site. Some of the buildings have lost part of their foundations and were held up by bricks and bottle jacks till permanent repairs can be made. They are doing their best to get things back to normal but it is not there yet. There was sand suspended in the shallows such the you couldn't see your weight belt when standing in the shallows.... on the bottom vis was normal, and 3.9C!

Thanx for posting. I was planning to go there soon, I still will but now I’m more aware.

I went to the Quarry yesterday and it was not bad at all.
The viz was great and the temperature at 127’ was 5C. The water is still a tiny bit high but the mess is gone. There is still some work that needs to be done on the doc but that doesn’t impact any scuba diving.

Back
Top Bottom