Mosquitoes on west side beaches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've search a lot of forums and can't seem to find a good answer. We will be there in two weeks, staying at the Allegro. My wife is a non-diver so will be spending more time than I topside, and has issues with mosquito bites. We've found some good repellent, and she will be very good about using it. But most of the discussions on mosquitoes seems to focus on inland areas, not at the beaches. We had a lot of them in Roatan (mosquitoes and no seeums) on the beach so I know they can be there, but is there a mosquito issue on the west side beaches?

I stayed at the Iberostar one year in June and believe me, there were mosquitoes. They sprayed almost every night. I didn't notice much being bitten during the day, though.

They come out when the sun starts to set and the wind/breeze dies down. Better bring some hard core bug spray......! The hotels fog/spray relentlessly, but that doesnt do much for the little buggers just outside the property/limit of the foggers.

Mosquitoes are the Mexican National Bird. If you're in Mexico, then mosquitoes are a problem. Go into the jungle and the number of mosquitoes is beyond imagination. Even if you have a wild, zombie mosquitoes o' doom imagination.

no seeums are more of a problem on the beach. Believe it not just a bit of Vicks Vapor Rub applied around the ankles keeps them away. A thin application will not be noticeable. Wife put some on a face cloth and put under her beach chair as well, only got 1 bite all week. The no seeums don't like the odor. Suntan lotion smell usually offsets the Vick's odor

Believe it not just a bit of Vicks Vapor Rub applied around the ankles keeps them away.
I'm gonna sue if this doesn't work! I hate no-seeums more than skeeters!

Just returned from Cozumel and stayed on the South end and West side. We had only a few bites and I used repellent only once or twice. However we don't go outside as a rule around sunset. It rained only sporadically and was hot,with steady wind. I don't think there was much rain in the few weeks prior so there was less opportunity for new mosquitos. The sand fleas (no see-ums) were not much of an issue as well. With that being said we have been there on previous trips where the mosquitos and sand fleas were thick and we used repellent like crazy.
We try to wear loose lighter colored clothing as the tale is that mosquitos really like black and darker colors. Having spent alot of time in tropical locations and in the mountains of Colorado, if the mosquitos want you, they'll get you. Stay away form the bushes.
The resort fogs regularly but that doesn't cure the problem. Wear repellent if your out a night as the mosquitos at night are the little ones that can carry nasty stuff.
For some reason and maybe it's just me, I find that after a few days of getting a tan, the no see-ums don't bite me as much. Maybe the skin is thicker or something.
Topical Benedryl and cortisone help with the sand flea bites if necessary.
Lou - I never noticed your wife smelling like Vicks

Season is def a factor. We were there last june and it had been dryyyyyyyyyyyyyy for weeks and weeks, so we hardly saw any skeeters. Then it rained buckets and BAM........clouds of the little @!(*$!)^'s

Had zero issues last May at Iberostar. Zero issues again in December at Secrets. Both weeks only had one day of brief rain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom