Most affordable way to "go wide" the RX100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I see. What about the Ikelite RX100ii housing that RVBldr suggested with the Fix lens? Does that work without vignetting?

Would this be wider than the Olympus 9-18mm+Zen port underwater?

Just for clarity, I'm running the original RX100 MK1, not the MKII. And yes, with the Fix, I can pick up some vignetting in the corners so a little cropping in Lightroom fixes that.

The best lens for the RX100 is the Inon UWL-H100 with dome or if you have a nauticam housing you can also use the older UWL-100 28AD
Second option is the Idas/Fix UWL-04 it does have soft corners but works better than the UWL-28 that is more for a smaller sensor camera
The Fix/Idas only work well on Nauticam ports and vignette with other housings plus once on with the M67 thread forget about removing them

I got the Meikon plastic housing for the RX100 and having have a UWL-100 28AD around, I pushed their 2 lens ports flush with each other, and even with the small rear lens of the UWL-100 28AD, I got no vignetting. That housing's port's profile bevels outward, almost like a mold of the 28AD's rear lens profile that makes the wet lens fit almost like a glove and with no vignetting. Although since the AD has no threading, it has to be held there, maybe putting a Type 1 thread would do the trick? Maybe that's what the UWL-H100 28m67 does.

I also got the UWL-100 67mm Type 2 and its rear lens sits flush with the threads, it seems to be made for ports that are a wide glass lens. I haven't tested for vignetting since its stuck with a dome in the front, and with so much gap between the wet lens and port, I will have to go deep enough so I can fit that gap with water. Maybe I can change the Type 2 to Type 1 and get the rear lens to sit much closer to the port (like the UWL-H100 28m67).

And what about the old UWL-100 M67 type 2? I might have an opportunity to pick up one for cheap, just wonder where it stays optically compared to the h100's.

Vignettes for stills with the Mark III and IV
Works with the mark I and II without dome at least may need to turn stabiliser off

Thanks for everyone's opinions and discussion here. I ended up putting together a used kit with the RX100 II and Aquapazza housing, and I was able to buy used copies of both the Fix UWL-04 AND UWL-28 to test and compare.

The UWL-04 is slightly wider, but there is barely any difference between the two. For the best edge performance, it's necessary to stop down to around f5.6 or f8. As just a hobbyist, the results from my test shooting in the pool are wonderfully sharp. Both are VERY wide, and sometimes the hoods are slightly visible on the edges of the frame. Not a big deal for me personally, as this can be cropped out in Lightroom without any hassle. For video, the hood is not visible on either.

Either one is a great value for the money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom