Most Buoyant Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've got a student with very heavy legs. Which fins are the most buoyant, to suggest to him?

I also don't know the most bouyant, but I know the Sherwood Tritons are. I think that some of the Scuba Pro Spli Jets and Seawings are also.

From another thread
There seems to be some confusion here on the Seawing Nova fins:

1) The very first version has had a small incedence of breakage depending on their use; this is covered under warranty. Under normal usage they perform excellent without problem and do not need to be replaced.

2) All Seawing Nova fins shipping are of the slightly newer design.

3) There is a new model (option) of Seawing Novas called the Seawing Gorilla; this fin comes in black with gray heel straps and is stiffer than the regular Seawing Novas.

4) All Seawing Nova fins are positively buoyant both in salt and fresh water regardless of size, color, or version.

I think it is the blue and yellow Split Jets that are positively buoyant.

The UTD neutral fin (they have a heavier one too- make sure to get the neutral) or the Deep 6 Eddy fin.

Sherwood Tritons are positive, not alot but they do float their a good basic fin. I have the same problem as your student.

I have both the Mares X-Stream and the UTD neutrally/positively Buoyant fins.

If you are only looking at buoyancy, the Mares X-Stream are more buoyant (they are buoyant even in fresh water, when I feel that the UTD are closer to neutral in fresh water). But I haven't managed yet to master the back kick with the Mares X-Stream (I actually only went backward once, for maybe less than half a meter, before it started becoming a mess, again. Not really a success.), and it took me a while before getting some power with a frog kick (they are very floppy and tend to bend the "wrong" way for these kicks). On the other hand, they are great for flutter kick. I just need a very light movement of the ankle to advance. Very relaxing in some conditions.

So I guess if you compare those two fins, it would depend on what you prefer. The Mares are really very buoyant, but the UTD allows for easier control (at least for me).

As a side note, the Mares are also very light, interesting if you are limited in your luggage weight, but are too long to fit in a carry-on. The UTD are heavier, but fit in my carry-on.

I have very heavy legs.

It is necessary for me to not only use UTD neutral fins, but to also use trim weights. I used to use a 4 pound weight fixed to my yoke knob when I dove with a recreational bcd. Using a single tank plate and wing, I need 10 pounds on the upper band. With doubles, I use a plastic bar with 6 pounds of weight pinned to the upper part of the bar.

Being properly trimmed by using weights has made a real difference for me. I don't think I could get good horizontal trim otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom