Most common open-circuit equipment malfunctions leading to problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure this is good advice for modern gear?

Every pressure gauge I have owned has had a pressure relief port on the back of it. I make sure the pressure relief port is not facing me.

The slimline ones that are getting more popular with the plastic faces do not.

You forgot to say the risk of a drysuit leak is directly proportional to how cold the water is. Or, how good the dive is when you have to cut it short due to a leak!!
My problem is that I've had lots of leaks but didn't end the dives. I've had to wring out my bunny suit plenty of times. :)

I'm wondering what the most common equipment malfunctions are that can lead to serious problems. I can see the following being possible, but not sure how common they are.

- O-ring failure between the tank and first stage
- Stuck inflator mechanism on the BCD and/or drysuit

First stages are very reliable, right? Is it very rare for a first stage to suddenly stop delivering air or to leak air catastrophically?

Same story with a second stage as well, right? And if it does happen, you've got your backup.

Gauges don't suddenly stop working, right?

I'm thinking that the vast majority of accidents originate from the diver, not the equipment failing. Things like heart attacks, medical conditions underwater, not checking the SPG regularly enough, surfacing too fast, not making sure all threads and connections are tight, panic, not paying attention, too much exertion, etc.
I have hardly any equipment failures. Mostly the ones I have had have been minor and due to salt or wate in the wrong place. So stuff like sticky inflators or badly seated diaphragms. Worst one was water which had reached up into a first stage of a bailout reg. when I bailed out to it (on a course) I discovered I had almost no gas to breath and had to return to the deep bailout.

Mostly equipment related failures that hurt people here are free flows.

I have had the oring on a first stage blanking plug fail in the pool. They are often ignored. And at least once we’ve had a a-clamp to cylinder oring go. That was quite loud.

Yep. Properly serviced, gear is amazingly reliable

I found that the regular inspection, maintainance, and repair of the dive gear my buddies and I used reduced equipment failures to near zero. Minimize the risk and be prepared for an occasional emergency at an inopportune moment.

Bob

I found that the regular inspection, maintainance, and repair of the dive gear my buddies and I used reduced equipment failures to near zero. Minimize the risk and be prepared for an occasional emergency at an inopportune moment.

I find it hard to call something an "equipment malfunction" when it's due to the owner not properly inspecting, maintaining/cleaning, etc. Is failure of an ancient o-ring a "malfunction" or a form of human error? Very rarely do things fail for what we think of as "no reason," such as a manufacturing defect.

From what I have seen, even most rental equipment is reasonably well maintained.

So I think the OP's intuition is correct that "the vast majority of accidents originate from the diver, not the equipment failing."

Back
Top Bottom