Most Dangerous in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
Unlike other jellies, cubozoans have EYES, and use them to move towards potential food (i.e. people). Yuk!

Actually they have 8 eyes. Four looking into their "stomach" and four looking outwards. Weird! :crafty:

Growing up in the most poisonous corner of the Earth I'm not really too bothered by most of this stuff. Understand your environment and take the appropriate precautions and you'll be fine (I managed to survive a pretty wild childhood! :wink: ).

The box jellyfish are more dangerous to your average swimmer due to the shear number of "stings" it can administer with it's extremely long tentacles. A great way to die is to wade into the ocean on a calm summers day, get stung on the legs, reach down to rub the origin of the pain, get stung on your arms and hands and then drag the tentacles up onto your chest! :11: A friend of mine suffered more than a meters worth of sting and went to the hospital for months. He still has the scars on his arms and legs today!

The Irukandji is more likely to affect divers as it inhabits waters further from shore. It's related to the box jelly. The effects of its venom are different, in particular the delayed reaction. The pain is supposed to be as severe as you can get once it gets going! It's really small (only about 2 cm total size) but still packs a wallop! There's only been a few recorded fatalities but from what I understand, most people wish they were dead while enduring the pain (which cannot be treated either effectively or safely with morphine or other powerful painkillers) . If you're really concerned then wear a skin, booties and gloves and hope you don't put your face into one!

As others have mentioned, the box jelly "family" is all over so it doesn't surprise me they'd be in Thailand too.

BTW, I noticed a few people talking about Scorpion fish as though they are going to get up and come after you. :06: I thought the danger was standing or putting your hand on them?

cancun mark:
I believe the proper scientific term is not "SWARM" of rednecks, I believe it is "pickup-full"

There is a larger taxonomic group called a "trailer park" of rednecks. I have been doing some research on the subject, and found a good guide to redneck taxonomic classification

http://www.fortogden.com/foredneck.html

This is correct. I was diving on a Walmart at about 80' and it was full of them. It was quite a colorful site seeing them in their natural habitat, wearing their NASCAR t-shirts, trying to attract mates. I wouldn't recommend trying to feed them though. I almost lost three fingers when I pulled out some beef jerky and offered some to a redneck as he swam by.

Box jellies must come in different "strengths".

Every single month, about 10 days after the full moon, Waikiki is invaded with what the news channels refer to as box jellies.

These sting people but don't seem to be that serious. The life guards spray vinegar to treat them.

They look like box jellies. I'm not talking about Portugese Man-of-War.

Kestrell:
This is correct. I was diving on a Walmart at about 80' and it was full of them. It was quite a colorful site seeing them in their natural habitat, wearing their NASCAR t-shirts, trying to attract mates. I wouldn't recommend trying to feed them though. I almost lost three fingers when I pulled out some beef jerky and offered some to a redneck as he swam by.

Wow. Here on the left coast we're not lucky enough to see the wily redneck in its 'home range'. WalMart recently had a plan to build a 'false reef' in Los Angeles that might attract more of them, but the city planners shot the proposal down in order to preserve SoCal's native environment.

Beef jerky is a tempting treat for any redneck, but I'll bet that a SlimJim or a possibly a Little Debbie snack cake will really bring them running. I mean, swimming. I've heard that unscrupulous dive boat operators will try chumming a WalMart parking lot with limited-edition Elvis plates to bring rednecks out in the open.

On topic, my wife and I took our Open Water courses on Phi Phi and saw a number of large triggerfish and two >30" sea snakes up close and personal. No problems from any of them, but then again, we don't subscribe to the Croc Hunter method of wildlife interaction... "Now, I'm chasing the most venomous snake in the world. Ah, he's a beauty! This little bugger is a might worked up. I reckon he'll get REALLY mad if I pick him up and wave him around a bit, so that's what I'm gonna do."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom