• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Most frightening moments

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by Diver0001, Nov 28, 2017.

1. RayfromTX

RayfromTX Student Of Gas Mixology Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    He felt much better moments later.

2. KatieMac

KatieMac Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I have done one of these since that time.

Last year while in Roatan at the end of the trip and covid starting, the dive shops were getting conflicting information. They're open. They're closed. They're open. They're closed. We had missed the 2pm afternoon dive by the time the "you can open" order came in. So 4ish in the afternoon, the DI said "let's go before they change their mind again".

This was amazing - seeing different things on the reef that I didn't ever see during the early morning or mid afternoon dives. The night creatures were just starting to wake up.

I would love it if they added this time of day as a standard dive.

Mrs. B likes this.
  3. Belzelbub

Belzelbub Contributor

Yes, they do. Apart from swimming in pools, or at a calm beach where the depth is shallow enough to stand, fins should be worn.

A couple years ago, we were down in the Keys with some friends. We were at Looe Key with 4 boats. We used two mooring buoys, with the second boat tied to the first. I’m with my kids and friends on their boat, and we notice someone behind the other two boats. We watch him for a bit and decide he probably needs help, as he did not appear to be making any progress one way or another.

So my buddy and I swim back to our boats to assess. His boat is tied up to mine, so we board our boat and ask if the guy needs help. He doesn’t decline, and was clearly struggling, so I swam a line out to him, and we bring him to the boat. He takes a bit to rest at the transom, then comes aboard. Guy in his mid 70’s, no fins, and a good distance from the boat he arrived on. My buddy then takes him back to his family. They had no clue he was missing.

Johnoly likes this.
  4. KatieMac

KatieMac Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Why fins (good fins) are necessary

delacrue96 and CT-Rich like this.
  5. Kimela

Kimela Regular of the Pub

OMG! My heart was racing as I watched that vortex incident. I haven't used split fins in a long time - and unless I'm diving a nice, warm, blue lake (do those exist?) I won't. Yikes. Mother nature is challenging.

Steelyeyes and KatieMac like this.
  6. OTF

OTF Contributor

My most frightening scuba moment actually happened topside, right here on scubaboard, when someone showed me how to access the pub.

Dish, Searcaigh, Miyaru and 6 others like this.
  7. CT-Rich

CT-Rich Solo Diver

Watching the dive guide tumble off into the distance must have been a real confidence booster.

RayfromTX and KatieMac like this.
  8. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    WeRtheOcean-- Re "Fins do matter". I've beaten a dead horse over the years pointing out the difference between swimming with & without them. And the related threads/posts on OW & DM course "swim" tests and what they really mean. One point being how much easier the OW 300 meter swim with mask/FINS/snorkel is (all you do is kick...) compared to the swimming skills needed to do the 200 meter regular swim properly. And why these two situations can't even be compared.

9. alex_can_dive

alex_can_dive Registered

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    My personal most frightening moment thus far was the first time I jumped off the boat into the ocean for my first OW training.

Unlike in the pool, in the ocean I couldn't see the bottom - it was darker and murkier. It felt like you were being swallowed into the void. I kept hovering at the surface while the rest of the group already descended. I remember questioning my decision to take the diving course, considering in my head how much I could get in refunds if I just got out then and returned all the equipments:shakehead:.

Then before I could finish my maths, my instructor pulled my legs to drag me down and I was too busy getting angry at him and doing my expletive handsignals to him that I forgot the panic:bicker:

Shortly, I got over the fear :yeahbaby:

10. Neilwood

Neilwood Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    First OW dives can be scary and being nervous is a good thing most of the time (it shows you respect the situation of learning a new skill).

Your instructor, quite frankly, is an idiot and dangerous to an extent. What he did could have lead to a panic attack with an unsuspecting diver. You could easily have spat your reg out, made an uncontrolled ascent or kicked out - none of which have a happy ending when underwater.

Better to have a short conversation with you about your fears on the surface and cajole you into diving than force you under and risk the potential outcome.

There is an few sayings that a lot of experienced divers live by
    1) better to be on the surface and wishing you were underwater than underwater wishing you were on the surface. He effectively forced you into the second category and it could have had serious consequences that put you both (as well as other divers in the group) at serious risk.

2) any dive can be called at any time for any reason - if you don't "feel" it for whatever reason, call the dive - (this includes before you hit the water or at any point before the planned end). Diving should be done to make you happy - if not why are you there? Better to have a conversation on the surface about why you called it than trying to macho it out and becoming increasingly stressed.