Lessons Most frightening moments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After seeing how the post I wrote about the reverse block resonated with people, I would like to make another post today, namely about the most frightening moments I've ever had.

It's easy, particularly for novice divers, to think that people like myself, with decades of experience, thousands of dives and a deck of c-cards have everything under control and nothing bad ever happens.

I wrote about the reverse block because of that. I wanted to show that I am still human and I can still make mistakes. On the internet there is a strong tendency for (technical) divers and instructors with a lot of experience to project an image of themselves as always solving problems correctly, always making the best decisions, and in the case of instructors in particular, having a monopoly on good ideas that lead to perfect students diving perfectly.

None of that, of course, reflects reality at all.

So I will start. I urge experienced divers to share their own stories.

-------
First
-------
1985. I was certified as AOW and we were making a deep dive along a wall. The bottom, for all intents and purposes, at the bottom of the wall was unsurvivable. A diver who diving with a group slightly ahead of us got caught in a large ball of discarded fishing line that he didn't see. He started sinking. The incident started at 42 meters. My buddy and I had just started our dive and we saw this happening. Nobody in his group did. We went after him. This was the first time I had dived deeper than 42 meters. I couldn't tell how deep we were when we caught him because the (analogue) depth gauge I was using was pinned at its maximum depth. This was also my first deco dive or at least my first dive where I was "off the tables" and unable to to know how to ascend. I was, at that time, unaware of oxygen toxicity, gas management and ascent protocols. We returned (at a rapid pace) to 30ft. (10m) and waited there until our tanks were empty on the assumption that any damage done by our deep incursion would be fixed by that. Upon surfacing we didn't know if we were going to get the bends or not. I was, frankly, scared. It still gives me the heebiejeebies to think about this incident more than 30 years later. We did something there that was completely out of control (also the rescue) and we got off easy.

-----------
Second
-----------
2002, I think. I was working as a DM. We temporarily lost a diver during a dive. The situation was that we were on a platform at 25m and doing some exercises for the AOW (deep) dive. A group of divers (maybe 6) descending LANDED on us and kicked up so much silt in their attempts to slow down before impacting the bottom that the visibility went from 5m to black-out in a matter of seconds. I grabbed the two divers right in front of me and dragged them out of the silt cloud. One of them turned out to be our diver and the other one turned out to be one of the idiots who landed on us. We were missing a diver. We surfaced. Naturally our divers were told to surface if they became separated but this diver did not. He remained where he was and waited to be rescued. On the surface we decided that I would search for the missing diver because I had the most experience of everyone (including the instructor). At that point I was a DM but I was already technically trained. I had very limited time. I went back down and eventually found him but it was luck. He survived and my beard got grayer overnight. If I couldn't have found him in the next 5 min his death would have been on my conscience until I died. This was so frightening to me that I nearly abandoned all plans I had to become an instructor.

-----------
Third
-----------
The accident. My team saved the life of a diver who ran out of air during an AOW training dive (by another group, not mine) and was left for dead on the bottom at 18m. We acted quickly and professionally and got him into the hands of paramedics within about 10 min. As an aside, the fact that the Dutch paramedics were able to be on scene so quickly was no small part of this! He looked dead when we retrieved him. He lay in coma for several weeks after the incident. Doctors had basically written him off when -- unexpectedly to all -- he woke up and subsequently made a reasonable (albeit not full) recovery.

The impact on myself and on the members of my team was substantial, particularly because of what we viewed as our 'mistakes'. One diver (the DM) stopped diving. He started hyperventilating during the descent to find the "body" and after that he started to hyperventilate on EVERY dive. He stopped diving.

To me it changed EVERYTHING about how I view training and my role as an instructor. I didn't organize things on the surface as well as I could have, if I had had a second run at it. Yes, I had the EMS on site in 10 min. Police, paramedics, trauma doctor, helicopter, fire department with a boat, a private boat.... all of that I had..... but I was overwhelmed and not communicating as well as I could.

Someone tried to chase my (uncertified) OW students into the water to go search. He didn't know that they were uncertified and I ripped him a new one in a way that I regret, giving in to the emotion. An NOB (CMAS) instructor showed me by example how to control the dive site in a way I had never learned, I missed seeing a diver (the DM who caused the accident) displaying passive panic. It only became apparent to me when they had to take him away by ambulance when he collapsed.... it was MUCH more messy scene than I had ever imagined and I was not in control as well as I would expect from myself. At one point, once the EMS had control of the surface situation I grabbed another diver (a DM) and went searching myself. This was a mistake. I can't get over the mind set that drove me to ACT when I SHOULD have been coordinating! I'm like the guy who charges into a burning building because I can't fight the urge to DO SOMETHING! I HATE that about myself.

Since that time (it's been years) I've been replaying that event in my mind and thinking, "if I had only done XXXX then YYYY". It drives me CRAZY to think that if we were sharper we could have found him 30 seconds or a minute earlier and his recovery could have been better. The fact that he survived is utterly astounding. These things never end like that.... but I feel responsible for the fact that it took so long.

This was a formative moment in my diving. I considered stopping as well but eventually decided not not to. To this day I cannot -- and will not -- teach or participate in the Rescue course, even though I may be the one instructor in my circle who is most qualified to talk about the differences between theory and practice. It's just too intimidating.

Last edited:
Personally I would have been sharing with my buddy long before they got down to 500. I suppose this is an off topic response though. My most frightening moment? I just don't scare easily. I have had some situations to handle but the fear didn't kick in until we were on the boat. Watching my buddy fail to maintain their buoyancy early on in our diving and end up 20 feet below our target max depth and then watching as she slowly corked from 100 feet was the worst I suppose. Watching a diver attacked by a Moray Eel and chased to the surface for the Lion fish on his spear was interesting but really I have not feared for my life ever through high speed motorcycle accidents and even being engulfed in flames. I was thinking awfully damned quick though. Still here.

In the Philippines I was diving with a group of 6 friends. Most of us had 50+ dives and everyone was AOW with the exception of one person. He had less then 10 dives and it had been a almost a year since those dives. We were diving a plane wreck that was in 70' of water. I'm use to the U.S. and diving with a buddy. We had two dive masters with us. I stayed with the most un-experienced diver (an older gentlemen) and I watched his air supply closely. When he hit 1000 PSI I was still around 2000. I found the dive master and relayed the air totals and informed him we were surfacing. This is where it got interesting...he said no. He said stay put and wait as he went to round of the other two groups (4 divers). Well, it took in a while. He came back and by this time my buddy was around 600 (and getting nervous). Again, I relayed that we needed to ascend. He again said no and motioned for us to wait. He came back a few moments later with the last pair and all 6 of us (plus the two divemasters) ascended together. At this point the dive master was with my buddy and I watched as my buddy took the last breath of air in his tank while at the 15' safety stop. He then had to buddy breath with the dive master.

Moral of the story, I was pretty inexperienced and should have just bolted and started the ascent when my buddy reached 1000 PSI. That's what I would have done state-side. I was not use to having to descend and ascend as a group. Never again... The sad part is that my buddy was totally freaked out and I doubt that he will ever dive again.

What's the hard and fast rule on this? I have 50 some certified dives, some extra training but haven't started stress and rescue yet. Everything I get out of training is bottom line is you are your own keeper, that and your buddy to a certain extent, the dive master ain't gonna feed your family when you're gone.

At 70', I woulda alerted the DM at 1000 and made my own ascent with my buddy at 700-800 - the heck with the DM. I wouldn't have shared air but would have been right there staring him in the eyes letting him know things were cool.

I see accidents, deadly ones, where the diver was waiting on a guide to tell him what to do - I will always dive another day, I don't care how far I've traveled or who the dive master is, I'm learning to always be equipped for myself and one other.

@wreckdiversam - I'm not knocking you at all - education thru experience, whether it be yours or others I'd hope will keep others alive and make diving enjoyable for the newbies and part timers.

It's funny, my most frightening experience wasn't the one where I (or others) were in the most real danger.

It was my first checkout dive. I was comfortable breathing underwater, buoyancy wasn't bad, and I had no problem clearing my mask, ditching gear underwater, etc.. But I'm pretty sure I was still wide-eyed at the murky, cold water of Puget Sound.

Suddenly, something bolted out FROM DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH ME! I was freaked. It was a small rock sole (think flounder, maybe 10 inches, 25 cm, long). They're pretty cryptic, and I hadn't seen it as I floated over it, but it saw me and bolted from about 18 inches, 45 cm, below my chest.

I can think of a couple others that were a little hairy; I wasn't scared so much as thinking "well this would be a really stupid way to go." I had a weight belt come undone and fall off while supervising students doing research diving. You might recall the old Wile E. Coyote cartoons: Where the coyote runs off a cliff, stops, looks down, realizes there's a problem, and only then starts falling? I swear that happened to me. Weight belt is off. "Huh, that's my weight belt on the bottom. If my weight belt is there, then I ..... OH @#%@#%$!" Let me tell you, a motivated man CAN swim a 7 mm full wetsuit (farmer john+jacket) down, at least a few meters. To this day I can't figure out what dislodged the weightbelt, and it never happened before or after.

Another time was my own pure stupidity. I was helping with a Rescue course, and we'd already had to use Rescue maneuvers twice on one of the students (once because the diver bolted horizontally for no apparent reason, later because he lost buoyancy and started to ascend). Not sure why I assumed he'd be able to pass me his octopus when I asked. I indicated "out of air, buddy breathe" and he looked at me blankly. I signaled again, then made my mistake: I took my second stage out of my mouth to emphasize the point. Being the "good" assistant, I also dutifully exhaled while the reg was out of my mouth. Until I was completely out of air. I couldn't find my second stage, so I went for my octopus. I didn't realize how sticky the clip was I had it on until that moment. I ended up pushing away from my "rescuer," starting to do a CESA, then managed to get my own primary back and purged before I'd ascended more than 4 feet or so. Lessons learned: 1) Leave the second stage in your mouth even if out of air (as students are taught, but I'd ignored), 2) Don't expect a student to do something right just because they've theoretically already demonstrated it in OW training, demonstrated it for you in a pool, and were briefed that it was one of 3 skills they'd be asked to show on that dive. 3) Know for sure how to use your equipment, not just theoretically. I subsequently tried getting my octopus out of its clip, and its easy enough but requires a touch more force than I thought. 4) In hindsight, keeping multiple options open (not committing to the CESA, but still trying to recover my own second) worked for me. Or less generously, maintaining my wits a bit as I started to panic helped reduce the severity of the situation. I went back to the diver, we tried again, and he did it correctly.

Last edited:
Scariest moment for me was an episode which apparently was related to a bout of spatial vertigo. Happened at the local quarry where I have many many deep dives. This happened in about 40 feet which in this particular quarry means zero viz. Lost sense of up and down. Tried all the tricks in the book...follow the bubbles etc etc...bla bla bla I could not focus on anything and my heard was spinning about 1000MPH... finally I figured out if I slapped my Petrel literally against my mask I could make out the depth and used that as the barometer for finding "up". I am used to very low to zero viz been there many times... this came out of the blue and out of nowhere. Not fun at all.

My very first scuba dive, on a vacation in Cozumel over 10 years ago...decided on a whim to take a 2 hour introductory scuba course in which they taught us the basics, then we did a group dive in a coral reef about 30 feet deep.

This being my first time under the water, and in the middle of a beautiful tropoical reef, I was pretty excited, and enjoying myself by doing a lot of underwater acrobatics and pretending to be an astronaut.

Halfway through the dive we did an air check, everyone else indicated they were at about 50% air but I was almost out -- probably less than 500 psi. This came as quite a surprise to me because air efficiency isn't something we had discussed and conservation of energy hadn't been on my mind at all.

I signaled to my instructor and he incredulously checked my gauge, then gave me his regulator and we went up together sharing air and did a safety stop. We had discussed the air sharing principles in the classroom, but I honestly had not expected to need to utilize that during my first dive.

Fortunately I did not panic, and still enjoyed the experience enough that I went on to spend the next 7 days diving all day and get my open water certification.

Nice idea for a thread. Most frightening hmm?

My first boat dive that should have been dive 18. Solitary Islands when we got there one of the mooring lines had broken and a boat was tied up to the other. Our captain told us to gear up and splash and swim to the mooring line to descend. Being new and slow I went off the boat slightly after my buddy. Instead of dropping us off so the current would carry us towards the mooring line.. he dropped us so we had to swim against current to get to it.
My buddy.. now hubby called out "Are you ok?"
I called back "yes"
As I was swimming towards him in my borrowed BCD. I kept getting lower in the water and trying to inflate but it didn't seem to help and the waves were pushing me too hard to get to my buddy or the mooring line.
He called out again.. "You ok?"
By this time the answer was "NO"
He couldn't get to me so called out to the boat. "I think you better go pick her up."
The boat came over and called out "Put air in your BCD" I was so low in the water the waves were washing over my head.
I called out "I am"
The boat care around and picked me up. In the process I got a lot of fumes from the engine. Diesel fumes always make me sick. Long story short I was so sick I spent the rest of the time on the boat waiting for my toenails to appear out of my mouth! My buddy boarded the boat and missed the first dive. I insisted he do the second dive without me.

Next day when we turned up for my dive #18 the boat crew were shocked. I say I am determined.. hubby says I am pig headed. Did the stride into the water and started sinking. I tried inflating and the air bubbled out. I went back to the mooring line and we discovered the inflater had torn out of the bladder.

That is when hubby made his worst mistake. He said we can just go down the line as far as you are comfortable. You can hold onto it and go up or down as much as you want and just relax looking at the fish. It is shallow and very protected with no current and I'll stay right with you. I figured if I didn't dive that day I never would. We spent 48 minutes watching the most beautiful fish I'd ever seen. Had I not done that dive.. I probably would have given up do to factors I wont go into here.. Since then hubby says I have made him do over 500 more dives. He says he needs a stable of buddies to keep me happy.

Dive 182 my stupid dive. PNG my first tropical dive. We geared up. I breathed off my reag to make sure it was working ok but I didn't look at my computer. I had been diving with mubby's computer for a few weeks before the trip. It turns on when you hit the water. Mine has to be turned on on the surface. I had a bit of trouble getting down (first dive with and aluminum tank) the DM had to give me some weight. I descended embarrassed I had made everyone wait. Down to 27M in current and I do my stop to check pressures and that everything is working ok before starting and realize my computer is not turned on.

I showed it to Hubby and he signaled did I want to surface? Here's where the stupidity comes in. I said "NO" and indicated stay close. I didn't want to do a bounce dive and I didn't want to end his dive knowing he wouldn't let me go upon my own. I knew we both had good air consumption with him a bit better than me, We were on a drift dive with the boat trailing. I figured we would assume I had 50 bar less than him and we held hands the entire dive which I enjoyed. :) When the DM signaled Tapping his guage we just signaled ok.

On the boat when they were asking start and end pressures I said to hubby.. what should I do. He said "tell them the truth. I said "I can't tell you may start pressure cause I forgot to turn my computer on. The boat crew stiffened up and looked alarmed.. like OMG we have an idiot here we are gonna have to watch. I said I can tell you my finish pressure I had more left than anybody on the boat except for hubby. The DM came to check I wasn't BS'ing. Everyone had a laugh about it because I could have done my second dive on the same tank. I wasn't scared at the time but now I look back and think how stupid a move that was. Had my tank not had a similar fill to hubby's .. oh so many things could have gone wrong.

Dive 480 A dive arranged from the dive shop. Hubby had a cold and the DM stayed on shore and asked me to lead a couple other divers on the dive. DM did the dive brief I wasn't happy about being responsible for the other two. One young man had just finished his rescue and was fairly new the other older gentleman said he had dived lots. Not long into the dive I was having trouble keeping track of the older diver. The young man was staying close. Then the viz closed up a bit and he disappeared! I looked for the normal time and no bubbles. Indicated to the other diver. Stay close and we will surface. Sure enough the fellow was on the surface floundering around. I got over to him and asked what happened. He said "I thought my BCD might not be working right so I dropped my weights and surfaced." It would have been better if he had indicated to one of us instead of bolting but we got him ashore and continued to have a nice dive without him.

Dive 674 a very experienced professional diver with a deck of certification cards and too much complacency decided to separate from buddy procedures. Had this diver been less experienced I would not have tolerated the tendance to wander off alone. We had had a heated discussion about it the dive prior. Most of the dive we just tracked and kept asking her to join up with the group. At the end we though she joined up with the other diver in our group for the exit. when he surfaced without her. we launched a search got the attention of a boat nearby to call for help. Unfortunately when found she chouldn't be revived. I had her on o2 and deployed an EAD. As a paramedic I did a lot of CRP but nothing hurt like losing a friend that way!

Final one to prove I do learn. Dive 702 USA.. The Castor. Down with three divers as one had aborted on entry. One diver indicated to me to stay down with the other diver as he was going to surface. I was adamant that we stay together going up the line as it was a high current area. I hope never to lose another buddy but those who have dived with me find it shocking that it happened.

I have always been very buddy conscious and it really bothers me that I let the experienced and instructor certification of a diver get away to die on her own. Apparently it was her practice to stay down on her own after everyone else surfaced to have some quiet time on her own. We al get to make our own choices but we also have to consider the impact our choices have on others when things go wrong!

Nice idea for a thread. Most frightening hmm?

My first boat dive that should have been dive 18. Solitary Islands when we got there one of the mooring lines had broken and a boat was tied up to the other. Our captain told us to gear up and splash and swim to the mooring line to descend. Being new and slow I went off the boat slightly after my buddy. Instead of dropping us off so the current would carry us towards the mooring line.. he dropped us so we had to swim against current to get to it.
My buddy.. now hubby called out "Are you ok?"
I called back "yes"
As I was swimming towards him in my borrowed BCD. I kept getting lower in the water and trying to inflate but it didn't seem to help and the waves were pushing me too hard to get to my buddy or the mooring line.
He called out again.. "You ok?"
By this time the answer was "NO"
He couldn't get to me so called out to the boat. "I think you better go pick her up."
The boat came over and called out "Put air in your BCD" I was so low in the water the waves were washing over my head.
I called out "I am"
The boat care around and picked me up. In the process I got a lot of fumes from the engine. Diesel fumes always make me sick. Long story short I was so sick I spent the rest of the time on the boat waiting for my toenails to appear out of my mouth! My buddy boarded the boat and missed the first dive. I insisted he do the second dive without me.

Next day when we turned up for my dive #18 the boat crew were shocked. I say I am determined.. hubby says I am pig headed. Did the stride into the water and started sinking. I tried inflating and the air bubbled out. I went back to the mooring line and we discovered the inflater had torn out of the bladder.

That is when hubby made his worst mistake. He said we can just go down the line as far as you are comfortable. You can hold onto it and go up or down as much as you want and just relax looking at the fish. It is shallow and very protected with no current and I'll stay right with you. I figured if I didn't dive that day I never would. We spent 48 minutes watching the most beautiful fish I'd ever seen. Had I not done that dive.. I probably would have given up do to factors I wont go into here.. Since then hubby says I have made him do over 500 more dives. He says he needs a stable of buddies to keep me happy.

Dive 182 my stupid dive. PNG my first tropical dive. We geared up. I breathed off my reag to make sure it was working ok but I didn't look at my computer. I had been diving with mubby's computer for a few weeks before the trip. It turns on when you hit the water. Mine has to be turned on on the surface. I had a bit of trouble getting down (first dive with and aluminum tank) the DM had to give me some weight. I descended embarrassed I had made everyone wait. Down to 27M in current and I do my stop to check pressures and that everything is working ok before starting and realize my computer is not turned on.

I showed it to Hubby and he signaled did I want to surface? Here's where the stupidity comes in. I said "NO" and indicated stay close. I didn't want to do a bounce dive and I didn't want to end his dive knowing he wouldn't let me go upon my own. I knew we both had good air consumption with him a bit better than me, We were on a drift dive with the boat trailing. I figured we would assume I had 50 bar less than him and we held hands the entire dive which I enjoyed. :) When the DM signaled Tapping his guage we just signaled ok.

On the boat when they were asking start and end pressures I said to hubby.. what should I do. He said "tell them the truth. I said "I can't tell you may start pressure cause I forgot to turn my computer on. The boat crew stiffened up and looked alarmed.. like OMG we have an idiot here we are gonna have to watch. I said I can tell you my finish pressure I had more left than anybody on the boat except for hubby. The DM came to check I wasn't BS'ing. Everyone had a laugh about it because I could have done my second dive on the same tank. I wasn't scared at the time but now I look back and think how stupid a move that was. Had my tank not had a similar fill to hubby's .. oh so many things could have gone wrong.

Dive 480 A dive arranged from the dive shop. Hubby had a cold and the DM stayed on shore and asked me to lead a couple other divers on the dive. DM did the dive brief I wasn't happy about being responsible for the other two. One young man had just finished his rescue and was fairly new the other older gentleman said he had dived lots. Not long into the dive I was having trouble keeping track of the older diver. The young man was staying close. Then the viz closed up a bit and he disappeared! I looked for the normal time and no bubbles. Indicated to the other diver. Stay close and we will surface. Sure enough the fellow was on the surface floundering around. I got over to him and asked what happened. He said "I thought my BCD might not be working right so I dropped my weights and surfaced." It would have been better if he had indicated to one of us instead of bolting but we got him ashore and continued to have a nice dive without him.

Dive 674 a very experienced professional diver with a deck of certification cards and too much complacency decided to separate from buddy procedures. Had this diver been less experienced I would not have tolerated the tendance to wander off alone. We had had a heated discussion about it the dive prior. Most of the dive we just tracked and kept asking her to join up with the group. At the end we though she joined up with the other diver in our group for the exit. when he surfaced without her. we launched a search got the attention of a boat nearby to call for help. Unfortunately when found she chouldn't be revived. I had her on o2 and deployed an EAD. As a paramedic I did a lot of CRP but nothing hurt like losing a friend that way!

Final one to prove I do learn. Dive 702 USA.. The Castor. Down with three divers as one had aborted on entry. One diver indicated to me to stay down with the other diver as he was going to surface. I was adamant that we stay together going up the line as it was a high current area. I hope never to lose another buddy but those who have dived with me find it shocking that it happened.

I have always been very buddy conscious and it really bothers me that I let the experienced and instructor certification of a diver get away to die on her own. Apparently it was her practice to stay down on her own after everyone else surfaced to have some quiet time on her own. We al get to make our own choices but we also have to consider the impact our choices have on others when things go wrong!
With regards to dive 674, I am so sorry to hear that. Sounds like a case of "I will teach the rules but they don't apply to me". A lot of people forget where and why the rules have came from in the first place - the deaths and injuries of large numbers of divers over the years. It should be the least we can do as thinking divers to try to minimise the chances of that happening again.

I think divers fall in to three camps with regards thinking about their dives and following rules:
1) The new diver - everything underwater is new enough and "scary" enough that they remember what they were taught and follow it to the letter.
2) The experienced diver - has enough dives under their (weight) belt without any issues that they start to skip little things like a full buddy check, proper buddy procedures etc. They often don't realise quite how far they have drifted from good practice.
3) The very experienced diver - who does follow the rules because they have been directly involved in a rescue situation or know someone who has been or knows people who have been hurt in diving incidents. They have often relearned the reasons for the safety protocols.

I believe when acting in an official capacity the diver in question was a dedicated Instuctor and played by the rules. On pleasure dives with competent buddies ... threw the rule book out the window and became the buddy from hell. We did 4 dives together with discussions about buddy separation and how difficult it was to keep track. Last dive before the fatal dive we spent trying to keep track of her in limited viz, When we complained we were told. "You can always find me from my strobes flashing! I don't like diving too close."

Her son told me "I quit diving with her over the buddy separation thing for quite a while. If I couldn't get her to listen she sure wasn't going to list to you! Don't blame yourself. I always thought she would go that way"

Sad the pain that attitude caused so many people. Instructors remember the safety rules are not just to keep your clients safe but to keep YOU safe. Even someone with thousands of dives can have something go wrong. IMHO she passed out (history of low blood pressure and hadn't eaten much for breakfast so possibly even hypoglycemic as well). ... lost her reg and it free flowed to empty tank when found.

We searched immediately, found her quickly and got O2 and AED attached while continung CPR. Ambos can and told us to stop. As an ex paramedic I know it was too late by your gotta give it everything you can just in case. Sad end and a lot of people hurt very badly in the aftermath.

I am convinced the only way to prevent her from dying on that dive was to not do it and it would have happened with someone else based on reports from those who had been buddies. At least we had our O2, AED , got the body back and gave it a full effort to safe her.

2013 and it still effects our diving.

Riviera Maya...riding shotgun to cenote in ancient pickup. I realize there’s half a ton of tanks, lead etc behind me. No air bags, no seat belts, no tread on tires. Crazy Hugo, driving, starts down shifting frantically “no brakes, amigo!” Fun dive though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom