most popular rental regulator set ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shop I took classes at uses all scubapro gear, the reg set I liked was an R190 second stage, and I forget what the first was. MK 16 maybe? or maybe MK2?

Another local shop I frequent more, well, frequently, uses all Oceanic gear. I rented a reg from them once too, but I have no clue what it was.

II think you'll find this differs per shop and all based on the brands a shop carries.

Typically if not the bottom of the line, it'll be close to it. Some shops use a "mid range" regulator just because the bottom of the line can't hold up to repeated class and rental usage.

mike_s:
II think you'll find this differs per shop and all based on the brands a shop carries.

Typically if not the bottom of the line, it'll be close to it. Some shops use a "mid range" regulator just because the bottom of the line can't hold up to repeated class and rental usage.

Most bottom of the line unbalanced piston regs hold up better than mid or top of the line in rental usage.

They don't breath as well or drive people to buy the great reg they rented so you see mid or better in rental sometimes, or maybe just the rep was good at upselling...

The shop will use the "second tier" quality rig or "rental line" of the brands that they sell for instruction. Most instructors and divemasters that teach for that shop will use the "higher tier" of the same brands (they get discounts on purchase price) - uncanny how many students buy what their instructors wear. :eyebrow:

daniel f aleman:
The shop will use the "second tier" quality rig or "rental line" of the brands that they sell for instruction. Most instructors and divemasters that teach for that shop will use the "higher tier" of the same brands (they get discounts on purchase price) - uncanny how many students buy what their instructors wear. :eyebrow:

Not really, let me know if any instructors you know want some Oceanic gear!

Two of my favorite shops rent Oceanic and Mares. But they're kind of upscale with HP steel tanks and Dive Rite Transpacs.

I got a Mares LE metal tech for my OW dives. The shop I went to rented out great regulators, octopuses, and computers, but their BCDs were crap 5 year old bottom of the line.

my sister rented gear from this dive shop around Boston (don't remember the name) that actually used the atomic line, including b2 and z2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom