Most unusual find at Blue Heron Bridge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good one can cost up to several thousand dollars. In the handle will be either a single pin or maybe 2 pins if it is a full tang. Use a small drift to carefully remove these and the handle will slip off (I found a length of pvc just big enough around to fit the blade and longer than the blade portion helps, you just use the knock technique to loosen the handle). Underneath will be a full tang if it is a good one with Japanese characters giving the makers name, date, etc. If the tang has nothing on it then it is a knockoff. Are they stainless? If so, they are a knockoff. Real Katanas will be high carbon steel, either "folded" or not (depending on age, quality of initial steel, technique used) There should be a wavering temper line on the sharp edge, if that appears to have been ground in or etched in, then it is not a real blade but a knock off. Also, if there are characters stamped into the blade itself, then it is probably a knockoff. Some blades may have a pattern in the blade itself, these are usually ones that have been folded.

Pictures, Jim-San!

ScubaBoard Gallery - P6190609

P6190609.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP was active yesterday so somone should send him/her a PM for a speedier reply...

Here I thought the custom dive knife I found was cool!
Man you blew that away in a big way!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Here I thought the custom dive knife I found was cool!
Man you blew that away in a big way!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Looks like a reproduction. Decent one but still. Does the blade say stainless steel on it? Looks like plastic under the wrapping and the mikuni appears to be brass like. Tsuba is very shiny. Probably plated pot metal.

funny the things that you can find under a brige, and I'll just bet you that some Mother took them and tossed them cuz the kids where playing with them.:no:

Back
Top Bottom