Most useful specialty courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, I went with SSI for the advanced because of cost. The instructor was actually certified to teach both PADI and SSI and gave us the option of which certification we wanted, but PADI would have cost an extra $75 for the same exact course. I will always base my decision on the instructors and school though, because there is just too much risk if you deal with people who cut corners or have equipment that is not properly maintained. Just didn't know if there was any other reason to try to focus on one organization vs another.

My instructors were certified in both and was in the same predicament sorta. I went SSI because the instructors basically said don’t waste your money. Spend it on gear you need, other courses, or on a diving trip. Personally the only thing I see against SSI is when I see advertisements for diving. The sites or flyers say “Must be a certified OW or AOW with PADI, NAUI, SDI, or other international accreditation agency. So I’m “other international agency”. Never been a problem though. Also from what I’ve been hearing a lot of dive shops are moving to SSI because of costs. So SSI is really growing. Also this may be stupid but I like the SSI app for iOS better then PADI’s. I like to have all the books downloadable for offline reading and I like the QR code certified dive log stamp. Just scan the other certified SSI divers QR code from there phone or business card.

My instructors were certified in both and was in the same predicament sorta. I went SSI because the instructors basically said don’t waste your money. Spend it on gear you need, other courses, or on a diving trip. Personally the only thing I see against SSI is when I see advertisements for diving. The sites or flyers say “Must be a certified OW or AOW with PADI, NAUI, SDI, or other international accreditation agency. So I’m “other international agency”. Never been a problem though. Also from what I’ve been hearing a lot of dive shops are moving to SSI because of costs. So SSI is really growing. Also this may be stupid but I like the SSI app for iOS better then PADI’s. I like to have all the books downloadable for offline reading and I like the QR code certified dive log stamp. Just scan the other certified SSI divers QR code from there phone or business card.

That is weird since I think SSI is the second largest scuba organization in the world behind PADI at this point. Since 2014 there has been a real acceleration of shops associating with SSI. I don't know if they will ever catch PADI, but I do get the sense that schools that offer both do like to encourage students towards SSI and honestly I like it for the same reasons you laid out.

PPB with a good instructor can be great.
Nitrox/deep/navigation are all very useful imo.
Drysuit if you are going to dive in one is highly recommended.
Cavern is an excellent class.
Rescue is one I think every diver that is confident in their basic diving skills should take.

I know SB loves GUE Fundies, but I personally won't be taking any GUE classes anytime soon, but that's for personal opinions on the organization and how it does things, as well as the attitude of some of it's adherents, not based on the quality of divers trained by GUE. To each their own though.

I know SB loves GUE Fundies, but I personally won't be taking any GUE classes anytime soon, but that's for personal opinions on the organization and how it does things, as well as the attitude of some of it's adherents, not based on the quality of divers trained by GUE. To each their own though.

I wonder if your opinion is based on current data or things of old. I know the group had a very bad and elitist reputation for almost a decade, but they've really done their best to squash that. I'm in the heart of GUE founded territory, and while I've never taken a single class from GUE, I am using their shop almost exclusively for support of my students and friends (when not at my shop). From the bottom to the top of their staff they treat everyone I bring to them with respect and attention, helping any way they can. And that goes for my most noob student, not just my CCR and Cave students.

Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would have taken a GUE track from the beginning. Sure, some things don't line up exactly the way I wanted them to in the beginning, like not diving CCR or Sidemount. But they've changed both of those things. And there's no arguing the quality of student and instructor. And, quite frankly, I'm tempted to take a fundies course for no other reason than to get to dive with Lauren.

There's bad attitudes in any camp. GUE used to have a bunch of them. Now I don't encounter any of them. I can't say that about PADI, IANTD, NASE, NACD (That's sorta a joke, lol) NSS-CDS or just about any other agency.

To reiterate, I have zero affiliation with anything GUE. Not a paid spokesperson, don't have any certs, don't sell anything or buy anything from them. Just my perspective while they've been helping my students for the last 3 or 4 years.

Hi @Jryan1204

So you have 13 dives, 9 training and 4 fun. You're nitrox certified and have AOW, in case an operator wants it. Go diving and practice your skills before more training. Some of the suggestions are just so SB. Glad you did not ask what gear to buy :)

What this guy said.....

Go dive and have fun.

It’s hard to perfect yourself diving a few times a year but you can be far from perfect and do very well.

Maybe when you get somewhere and they offer a private guide, do that for one day, talk with them and maybe you get some private coaching - dive and have fun. What type of diving you’ll end up liking will come in time.

The biggest deal in helping you enjoy the experience is probably trim - get close to the point where it’s like laying on the couch relaxed, that just takes time under water. Any buoyancy/fundamentals type class IMO is best taken in your own gear otherwise you only gain theory not experience.

Dive enjoy dive some more

Would you recommend I do rescue sooner than later or is it better to have done several regular dives before going back and doing rescue?

When you can look after yourself comfortably at the surface without "flapping", then move onto rescue.

Rescue is "mostly" surface stuff, but you do need to be comfortable in your gear and at the surface, because a decent instructor is going to stress you

I wonder if your opinion is based on current data or things of old. I know the group had a very bad and elitist reputation for almost a decade, but they've really done their best to squash that. I'm in the heart of GUE founded territory, and while I've never taken a single class from GUE, I am using their shop almost exclusively for support of my students and friends (when not at my shop). From the bottom to the top of their staff they treat everyone I bring to them with respect and attention, helping any way they can. And that goes for my most noob student, not just my CCR and Cave students.

Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would have taken a GUE track from the beginning. Sure, some things don't line up exactly the way I wanted them to in the beginning, like not diving CCR or Sidemount. But they've changed both of those things. And there's no arguing the quality of student and instructor. And, quite frankly, I'm tempted to take a fundies course for no other reason than to get to dive with Lauren.

There's bad attitudes in any camp. GUE used to have a bunch of them. Now I don't encounter any of them. I can't say that about PADI, IANTD, NASE, NACD (That's sorta a joke, lol) NSS-CDS or just about any other agency.

To reiterate, I have zero affiliation with anything GUE. Not a paid spokesperson, don't have any certs, don't sell anything or buy anything from them. Just my perspective while they've been helping my students for the last 3 or 4 years.

The elitist attitude is much better, but I still regularly see it (reddit is real bad about it sometimes, here isn't as bad anymore). My primary problems are their thoughts on medical and their training program structure. Regarding medical, when GUE get's their medical degree, and becomes my PCP, then they can have my whole medical history and I'll trust them to make any judgement about what I can and/or can't do with whatever medical conditions I do or don't have. Until then, being a good diver doesn't make them qualified or competent to make those choices or to get that information and I won't be handing that information over to them. A diving instructor/agency needs to know that I'm cleared by a medical professional to dive, that's it imo. The WRSTC questionnaire is excessive imo, and many organizations don't really care about the first page if you have a doctor's sign-off on the second page (yeah, that's the subject of a number of threads by itself), but at least the other agencies don't ask for your full medical history like GUE requires per their website.

As a person who has been an instructor for various subjects over the years, and has designed many training programs, one key part of any good training program, without major unusual scenarios, imo is that it has a 1 set of goals for any given class. Those goals are established based on the purpose of the training, and the training should be designed such that the goals are reasonably achievable for any qualified student taking the class with a competent instructor to achieve. There should never be course that has a fail, a pass that isn't a pass but you didn't fail, a you passed but you you didn't fully pass, and a "congratulations, you passed" all as options. A design such as that tells me that someone didn't understand how to make a course that took a student from the expected starting point, to the end point desired, for the course. It's inherently flawed in its design, in my opinion as someone who designs training courses as part of my profession.

That isn't to say it isn't "good" training, or it doesn't work for many people, it's just not what I consider a well-designed program, and that coupled with my issues with their apparent opinion that they deserve to play doctor, without bothering to become a doctor or be subject to the privacy rules that doctor's have to follow etc, that keeps me away from the organization primarily.

I'm sure most of the people at GUE, teaching for GUE, and who have been certified by GUE are good people. I just have those two philosophical oppositions to their program. The having seen some people with crappy attitudes who were trained by them is really just a minor point that wouldn't have, in itself, influenced me in any way for or against obtaining training through them.

There should never be course that has a fail, a pass that isn't a pass but you didn't fail, a you passed but you you didn't fully pass, and a "congratulations, you passed" all as options. A design such as that tells me that someone didn't understand how to make a course that took a student from the expected starting point, to the end point desired, for the course. It's inherently flawed in its design, in my opinion as someone who designs training courses as part of my profession.
That’s a bit of an exaggeration don’t you think? There are three options: fail provisional and pass. Hardly anyone fails because fail basically means you were never qualified to take the class to begin with because you’re an inherently unsafe diver. A provisional means you failed the final exam but can try again later on without having to do the whole entire class all over again. A pass is a pass. It’s not the teacher’s fault that someone is unsafe and it’s not necessarily the teacher’s fault that someone didn’t pass the final exam. A technical pass means you opted for a more difficult final exam and passed....

That’s a bit of an exaggeration don’t you think? There are three options: fail provisional and pass. Hardly anyone fails because fail basically means you were never qualified to take the class to begin with because you’re an inherently unsafe diver. A provisional means you failed the final exam but can try again later on without having to do the whole entire class all over again. A pass is a pass. It’s not the teacher’s fault that someone is unsafe and it’s not necessarily the teacher’s fault that someone didn’t pass the final exam. A technical pass means you opted for a more difficult final exam and passed....

No, I don't think it's a bit of an exaggeration. And "fail, provisional pass, rec pass, and tec pass" is 4 possible options, not three. If the course is designed to teach people "xyz" skills, they should either successfully accomplish that and they would pass the course, or they fail to adequately learn the skill (or the course/teaching fails to teach them those skills) and they fail. There is no reason to have a training program with a "provisional pass" (they didn't pass or you'd pass them, this is a "you failed, but only kinda" and what the hell is that supposed to be??) and there is no reason to have two sets of standards for the same class (rec vs tec). If the standards are different, it shouldn't be the same class as a course should teach you to pass it at one set of standards.

Have you seen the guy who "provisionally passed" his college calculus course? Or finished his calculus class with a "calc 2 pass"? No? That's because that's not how training courses should be designed. Obviously GUE disagrees with me on that, and that's perfectly fine as it's their agency so they can do things how they want, even if it defies the way almost every formal training program in the world works.

If someone gets a provisional with GUE, do they have to pay an additional fee to come back and try again to get a pass?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom