Motutapu Island fatality - Auckland, New Zealand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Man dies while diving near Auckland's Motutapu Island
A man has died while diving near Auckland's Motutapu Island.

Police said it was looking into the circumstances of the man's death, which happened on Saturday afternoon.

A spokeswoman said the man had been taken out to the dive area on a vessel before he commenced his dive.

A number of people from the vessel were assisting police to determine what led to his death.

The man's death was not being treated as suspicious and has been referred to the coroner and Maritime New Zealand.

Terrible about the small child he left behind. Any parent is always important but that age in particular when you're starting to really communicate...terrible.

I thought the "or been diving" when describing going on the boat was strange. Not sure if it really meant he had never been diving. Probably just bad description in the report and that was just first time on the boat.

Was also a little funny to just dive off a non dive purposed boat he never had been on the boat with who ended up somehow hitting and killing him. That means either that the diver didn't realize the possibilities of going with an untrained crew or that the diver felt experienced enough to feel comfortable with it.

I thought the "or been diving" when describing going on the boat was strange. Not sure if it really meant he had never been diving. Probably just bad description in the report and that was just first time on the boat.
It's hard to say as poorly as it was written. The original article mentioned "number of people from the vessel" so I am guessing that his friend had a boat and several guys went diving, including the victim. No way to know how experienced he was or wasn't.

Was also a little funny to just dive off a non dive purposed boat he never had been on the boat with who ended up somehow hitting and killing him.
I'm guessing that the pilot was searching for the victim when he hit him, but I'm guessing a lot.

By the way you are probably right about why they went and how the guy got hit but you were thinking about the other story from Guam when you named the location. This guy was in Auckland New Zealand. So many sad stories kind of hard to keep track.

but you were thinking about the other story from Guam when you named the location. This guy was in Auckland New Zealand.
Yeah, my mistake. That island is much larger than Guam, but I think that the living with the ocean life is still there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom