Mounting gas booster in a travel case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anyone have any ideas on how they've mounted their Haskels or similar inside a Pelican case or similar? Looks like Nuvair puts them in a iM2975 case, but no pictures from behind the panel on how they mounted the booster to the "floor" of the case

I mounted mine to a piece of aluminum cut to fit semi closely to the bottom of my Pelican case. Foam top pins it down when secured. The hoses would make it mess when pulling on it and the hose stowed nicely encircling it.

Last edited:
Just through bolt it through the mounting bracket on the booster. If you want you can stand it off the bottom of the case a little with some aluminum flat stock. If maintaining the waterproof seal of the Pelican, silicon caulk underneath the bolt/washer and around the hole on the outside of the case like doing a pee valve in a drysuit.

As long as it's a real Pelican/etc. and not some cheap plastic Harbor Freight knock off, it'll be fine. No need to overthink it.

Just through bolt it through the mounting bracket on the booster. If you want you can stand it off the bottom of the case a little with some aluminum flat stock. If maintaining the waterproof seal of the Pelican, silicon caulk underneath the bolt/washer and around the hole on the outside of the case like doing a pee valve in a drysuit.

As long as it's a real Pelican/etc. and not some cheap plastic Harbor Freight knock off, it'll be fine. No need to overthink it.

that's what I was thinking, but couldn't help but overthink it.... Will through bolt it

that's what I was thinking, but couldn't help but overthink it.... Will through bolt it
Not everything involves virus that can wipe out all live on the planet or radiation that will mutate is into roaches. Don’t overthink it... :)

The high grade mounting solutions always attach everything to the top plate. That looks like what Nuvair did as well. There are four bolt heads visible in the center section of the top plate. The booster is most likely hanging from those.

The high grade mounting solutions always attach everything to the top plate. That looks like what Nuvair did as well. There are four bolt heads visible in the center section of the top plate. The booster is most likely hanging from those.

what's the advantage of that other than being able to remove everything after removing the plate bolts? I'm not wanting to put a top plate in there to hide everything

what's the advantage of that other than being able to remove everything after removing the plate bolts? I'm not wanting to put a top plate in there to hide everything

Pelican cases look tough but they are actually even stronger than most people think.

I think the first advantage is that nobody really wants to put a hole in a case if they can help it. Any hole you put in the case will become the failure point. Silicone caulk on the inside of the case will not adhere well enough and will quickly separate and leak if the case is subjected to any positive pressure environment. Rubber washers actually work better than silicone IMO if you really must through-bolt.

That leads to the second reason. You seriously just can’t glue unlike material to polypropylene and achieve any kind of strength. Otherwise people would glue in a mounting bracket or plate or something.

http://img.pelican.com/docs/technical-bulletins/tech_bulletin_adhesives.pdf

The advantage of a top plate is that it is (unfortunately) the only way to maintain the integrity of the case and provide a strong mount.

thanks @Jeremy Williams. I'm not really concerned with integrity of the case, it is more the emotional pain of drilling holes in a brand new $$ case.

Part of my problem with the top plate is that my goal is for the Haskel, the 3 stage filter system, an 18" HP filter, and my fill whip set to live inside of there. That means having access to roughly half of the case and I think that would be problematic using the top plate.

What I may do is purchase the bezel anyway and have my machinists make a bottom plate that rests with rubber stoppers on the bottom, but has struts that go up to the factory bezel. Have a top plate that has the QD's for inlet and outlets, etc. but not have it cover the whole compartment

Last edited:
I hear you in the emotional pain aspect. One other thing to consider is that you don’t have to do a full top plate. If you have access to a break you can do a partial top plate with a right angle bend and then fit the other side of the plate to the bottom of the case. Then you can have a part of the case enclosed and part for storage for your whips and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom