Mounting my knife on my BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetArchaeologist

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Recently I was given an amazing gift; a titanium diving knife made by 'atomic aquatics'. The only issue I have with it is that the sheath can't be attached to a BCD. Have any of you found a solution to BCD mounting a strap sheaths securely? I'd like to put it on my chest straps or by my waist at least somewhere more accessible than my calf. Also I rent (can't afford my own right now) so I need a solutions that will work on most BCDs.
TI6knife2.jpg

Not sure this will help - but you could just strap it on your arm - knife handle down toward your hand - easy to grab - careful putting it back so you do not cut your wetsuit. I use surgical tubing for my knife and it goes on my leg - but you said you did not like that. I carry shears that clip to my BC but I am not sure I would do that with your knife.

Clip.jpg

Thanks, I didn't think of just getting a back up pair of shears for the BCD and continuing to wear the knife on my calf. I think that will work well. I was just worried about reaching the knife if my legs got tangled or I couldn't reach legs, having shears on the BC will fix that fear.
Thanks again man

NP and if it helps this is what it looks like.

20150522_161111_resized.jpg

I put two small holes on each end of it and ziptied it to my pocket on my jacket BC thru the gromets in the pocket.

Thanks, I didn't think of just getting a back up pair of shears for the BCD and continuing to wear the knife on my calf. I think that will work well. I was just worried about reaching the knife if my legs got tangled or I couldn't reach legs, having shears on the BC will fix that fear.
Thanks again man
This is why you don't wear a knife on your leg where this possibility exists. Strapping it to your arm is better than on the calf. Hopefully when it is on your calf it's on the inside and not the outside.

I carry a bag of about 50 zip ties in my Teaching-Save-A-Dive kit; I am always zip tying something up on student's kits...they are just so versatile and useful.

+1 for what Jim said, if you strap your knife to your leg strap it to the inside. A quick drill is to stand up straight, reach down and touch the outside of your calf. Then with the same hand touch the outside of your opposite calf. Then again with the same hand touch the inside of both your calves. Then try this with your opposite hand. Hopefully you will see the advantage of placing the knife on the inner calf...if you are going to wear it that low.

BTW...great knife. I have the same knife. I wear small shears and have small knives mounted on my harness straps. But when I know I might use a larger knife, this is the one I take.

since the OP indicates they use rental BCD, i am not sure you will find a simple solution for a knife that large that can easily be attached to and removed from the BCD for each dive. if you always get the same model of BCD then you may be able to come up with a quick zip tie attachement?

we use small dive knifes that we zip tie to the front of our BCD shoulder straps. on my bcd the blade portion fits up inside the shoulder strap so only the handle hangs out. i can reach the knife with either hand.

What are you planing to do with that Rambo knife exactly? Calf-mounted giant knives usually come with stories of lost knives, snags on kelp/line, and self-inflicted stab wounds (Especially with new divers who don't have their own gear yet).

Shears or a trilobite with a belt loop and/or zip ties work great, and won't make you a hazard.

Back
Top Bottom