Mounting SMB to a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The solution I've been using for years is to have two loops of bungy at the bottom of the backplate, one on the left and one on the right. The smb is stuffed into each loop, and basically hangs down from the backplate. Reach between your legs to grab it and pull it free.

Generally I use one continuous piece of bungy secured to the bottom left and bottom right of the backplate. If you make double loops at each end of the bungy then at the top,close to the backplate you can carry lift bags, in the bottom loops the smb.

Granted the smb is not connected to a reel or spool.

In almost 20 years of diving like this I have only lost two smb's.

Hi... I'm a warm water rec diver who hasn't gone down the BP/W route. (please don't shoot! :D)
Lately, been thinking about alternative ways to neatly carry a pre-rigged SMB-finger-spool-double-boltsnap bundle without:

- attempting to stuff it all into a bc pocket (which already has to hold other stuff)
- letting it dangle off a d-ring
- adding neoprene pockets/other wetsuit mods

Looking for feedback on whether you think it might be viable to stick it all into a draw-cord mesh pouch, and strapping it to the bottom of the tank with a couple of tight bungees or those elastic hose retaining tank bands? In my simplistic mind, I would just reach behind to the bottom third of the tank (like I would if reaching for a tank banger), retrieve the whole mesh pouch out from under the bungee/band, remove the bundle, stow the mesh bag and shoot. Sounds feasible? What would be the watch-outs? Any alternative suggestions with my gear being what it is?

(I dive single-tank with a Scubapro GO bc)

I went through a similar thought process. I ended up tying a piece of cord between the left & right sides of the BCD, so it hangs in a loop at the bottom of the BCD:
bcd.jpg
Red line illustrates location of 5mm accessory cord; not my BCD (do you know how hard it is to find a generic picture of the back of a BCD?)

This gives me a convenient place to clip off a fairly large SMB+reel. It's accessible with either hand, doesn't hang below me, and is largely out of the way until needed.

Have you tried mounting it to the side of your plate? a couple of loops of bungie on the plate holes and it rides between you and your wing.

view

Back
Top Bottom