Mounting Trim Weights on Kydex Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divesergeant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive a kydex BP with a 17 torus wing. I want to put two pounds of trim at the top of the backplate. I've been using a weight pocket on my top tank strap but am tired of messing about with it and want something on the BP, perhaps in the metal, flat-bottomed groove of the plate.

Anyone have any suggestions that they have tried? I have tons of ideas, but am looking for something that someone has tried and proven.

Thanks.

I've just been using weight pockets on one or both of the cambands on my Kydex plate,. I travel with the pockets empty and just add the ubiquitous 2 lb weights at my destination. I can understand wanting something more integrated, however.

One thing I've done successfully with my doubles rigs is fabricating custom tail weights from soft lead bars. Check your local hardware store for soft lead bars, then pound one into shape with a small sledge hammer. You can bolt it in place using the mounting holes in the metal spine of the plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dive a kydex BP with a 17 torus wing. I want to put two pounds of trim at the top of the backplate. I've been using a weight pocket on my top tank strap but am tired of messing about with it and want something on the BP, perhaps in the metal, flat-bottomed groove of the plate.

Anyone have any suggestions that they have tried? I have tons of ideas, but am looking for something that someone has tried and proven.

Thanks.

Er, ah well, the factory approved answer is to use a SS Plate is you need more ballast. :)

Having said that I'd probably water jet cut some 11 gauge and bolt it on.

For the home gamers I'd consider ankle weights and zip ties down each side.

Tobin

Er, ah well, the factory approved answer is to use a SS Plate is you need more ballast. :)

Having said that I'd probably water jet cut some 11 gauge and bolt it on.

For the home gamers I'd consider ankle weights and zip ties down each side.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin and Aquavelvet,

Good point about the SS plate, definitely the easy way to add weight. I think I'd be too over-weighted though since it would be about 5 lbs more than the kydex. (The 2lbs I use now is kind of too much also, but it comes in handy when I want to drop and anchor myself for some pictures). Right now, with the 2lbs weight on the top tank band, I never really need to put air in or put of the wing.

The soft lead beaten into shape or the ankle weights zipped to the edge of the plate have my attention.

For the soft lead, I visualize forming it so it fits right in the hollow area on the side away from the tank, right above the top elastomeric wedge block and securing it with a nylon or SS bolt using the currently un-used hole.

Or, with the ankle type weights, I could zip tie a pound on each side of the kydex plate using the top two holes on both sides.

This should get me started and I should be all set for the next dive trip.

Thanks for the input!
DS

---------- Post added May 10th, 2015 at 01:32 PM ----------

Oh, I forgot to add...

Like all previous dive trips with the kydex BP and low-volume wing, I get lots of questions from other divers on the boat. Everyone is curious about the rig. When I get done showing it, they all end up impressed with the quality and simplicity of it, even dive masters!

I always tell them, if they have a camera, to shoot a picture of it with the "Deep Sea Supply" lettering showing so they don't forget to look up the website. Hopefully they become converts!
DS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom