Mouth breather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was going through my open water cert. I had to take equipment home before the actual open water dive on the weekend. I took all my gear to the pool in my apartment complex and just sat in the water breathing for a few hours. When I was on my own I didn't feel any pressure and could swim around go upside down, stand on my head, practice buoyancy control, mask clearing etc with no disturbances. I also could stand up at any time since the pool was only 5-6 feet deep.

Learning to dive is kind of like learning to drive, you can pass the test with a minimum amount of road time (6 hours), but you aren't really comfortable until you have logged 80-90 hours on the road.

My wife and I just did the entire OW in Curacao, Netherland Antilles last week for $336 each, everything included.

She was very wary of the whole water in the face, breathe through your mouth thing, and had your exact panic reaction.

My wife was ready to quit during the swin and float "test".
She was ready to walk after having the skills explained. The instructor saw it and put us into masks and snorkels. Around the pond we went for an hour.
It took patience, but our instructor was out to teach, not prove himself.

3 words - tropical Open Water: the instructor or I had to actually hold her hand for the initial dives, but once you actually get into the beautiful tropical waters, amazing things happen.

She now has confidence that she is safe and KNOWS that she can do it. Don't overdo it. She noted that many problems resolved when she was rested.

I dove with an experienced friend on the day after completing my OW cert; one absolutely fantastic experience. I now understand the dive "nuts" I seen in the past. One tank wasn't enough, so I used a second for a shallow follow-up. (staying within NDL's, of course)

Well, we are back from Hawaii. I was hoping to at least get in a discover scuba dive there, but alas, I think someone may be trying to tell me something. I developed an ear infection! ;-0

Well, that is ok, it rained the first week we were there. Once we got to Maui, though, sunny skies. The bad thing was we had activities planned for this island, one being a bike ride down a volcanoe from 10K ft. (This is a must do in Maui, alot of fun and I would HIGHLY recommend Maui Downhill ). Anyway, we had only ONE day were we could safely dive before our trip up or our flight home. The dive shop, though, could not get ahold of the instructor in time, though. So, we snorkeled and had a wonderful time. We also went down 130 ft, in the Atlantis IV sub.

Anyway, my LDS decided it would be good to recycle me into another class. My wife is alot closer to getting her OW and only needs another pool session and her 4 OW dives. Now, once I get over a slight cold, I will get back into the class's.

Thanks,

Bear

Holidays are all about enjoying yourself, Bear. The Gods aren't trying to tell you anything. You're going to dive - and love it - in due course.

The experiences you had in Hawaii are wonderful - and so too will be the ones you have when you get your dive skills mastered.

If you want it, it's going to be yours.

It's going to be very handy to have a dive buddy living with you in days to come - and one you really trust too. Your wife deserves congratulations on her progress.

MN :)

Hello maybe i can help.

I also had a problem breathing with the reg. Actually I had such a hard time I thought about giving up. First of all dont let the instructor push you.Its your time and money being spent . I actually let the instructor work with someone else while I practiced for about 30 minutes breathing through the reg. I had to go back a second time to start my first pool dive. I still wasnt sure I could do it then.Now this may sound crazy to some of the others but what i did to get used to the reg was I stuck my tongue to the roof of my mouth this actually restricted the air flow comeing in which didnt make me feel like i was struggleing to inhale. Also remember to exhale completely and relax.

I don't want to start a debate here - but the discussion about 'breathing difficulty' with a regulator is disturbing. We can all understand, I think, that the first experience of using a regulator mouthpiece can be strange, or even moderately uncomfortable. But difficulty in breathing through it should not be a factor. 'Cracking' the regulator to inhale should not be noticeably difficult. If it is, (and I'm the first to admit I'm not a tech) it sounds like something may be wrong in the equipment area.

Whatever! Bear - you keep going. We all remain behind you.

MN

..... I recycled into another class when we got back and it is like night and day. I think, in reviewing my previous posts, I had a good attitude, but had a mental block. I had my first confined session with a new class last thursday night and seemed to be perfectly comfortable. Many factors may have attributed to my new found confidence. There was a new instructor (even though the original one, who I maintaint is a good instructor, was there), there was no pressure to get it done before our vacation, and (I think the biggie) my wife was not there. I mention the latter because I really feel like I may have had my attention divided between her needs and mine. Without her there, I was able to devote 100% of my attention to myself.

Now, about the debate just mentioned, I will say this. I mentioned before that I found it easier to breath on an adjustable regulator and I will stick to that statement. When I went in thursday to the LDS, the gentleman who was setting up the equipment bags did not know I was coming. Since I arrived early, it made it easier for him to get a bag together for me, but he had no adjustable regulators left. I offered that I would work through it on a static regulator (instead of him having to break down the bags already made up to find one). Well, in the shallow end, I had to draw a breath and push it to exhale. Well, I knew this, but as I was more at ease, it did not seem to bother me. Now, that same regulator at 11 feet (laying on bottom of the pool) seemed to be easier breathing.

So, can I use a static one? Yes, would I prefer an adjustable one? Yes. Unfortunately, I am a large guy and my air demands are high. I am also new and anxious. I demand a high quantity of air (though I tink I am getting better).

This last session was re-assuring that I am doing the right thing in going through with this. It is something I want to do. Thanks for all your encouragement and I will keep you posted.

Bear

See? We all knew you could get it. We've all been there in your shoes in some way shape or form. I'm a brand new newbie, and the anxiety is fresh on my mind too! (I mean, what the hell is so hard about breathing without your mask on anyway???? Something in my brain did NOT like that. It was VERY hard not to try to suck in nonexistent air through my nose!)

Anyway, keep it up and before you know it, you'll be back in Hawaii DIVING this time!

Kristey
:sombrero:

Originally posted by TheDivingBear
..... I am a large guy and my air demands are high. I am also new and anxious. I demand a high quantity of air (though I tink I am getting better).

Bear

Bear - you're there! What a great feeling you must have to have seen this thing through.

Air hogging - I guess most folk have been there. I know I'm still getting to grips with the issue. I always seem to use more than buddies (especially my teenage son, who regularly comes up with half a tank!)

They tell me it's just a matter of relaxing - we'll see.

Can't wait to hear how you get on with some open water now. It's all plain sailing now your confidence is building. I'll tell you straight. I'd rather dive with a guy like yourself, who's had to struggle to get there and isn't cocky about his diving than any hotshot. You're always going to be a safer diver. Your wife will have a great dive buddy.

Keep us all in touch. We're with you every foot of the way (down).

Mike

Yeah Bear! We are so proud of you that you are sticking it out! Your LDS seems to be receptive to your needs if they are recycling you into a new class.
I am a newbee also. I have my C card but slowly (repeat slowly) conquered my fear of mask clearing (almost quit over that skill!) and still have trouble with buoyancy. Have been doing local quarries and then last night, went to the pool for some practice.
It is like night and day - my comfort level in the pool was so much higher. My first pool session, I descended close to the pool wall just in case... I was nervous and held onto to my buddy's arm. Last night, I felt like a seal, swimming around. You will too!!!!
Take your time. Don't let anyone rush you. Get private lessons if you need them. Get extra time in the pool. This is suppose to be fun! not a roadrace!
Too many of the instructors and LDS are into this factory-like production of divers who have limited pool time and instruction so they make a buck. No wonder a lot of people drop out or don't even finish their open water dives.
Practice until you feel comfortable, go to the pool extra if you can. You will be a great diver and an awesome dive buddy because you will be careful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom