Moved to Bonaire? Please tell us your story.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les Corkill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Everyone,
I have been a PADI instructor for 15 years on a part-time basis given the demands of the corporate world. Like many of us I often dream about moving to an island, if not permanently, at least for a few years. I have dove Bonaire 3 times in the last 3 years. Of course, I love the diving, but I also love the people and the island as a whole.

So on this cold and rainy "spring" day in Chicago, I wanted to ask those of you who have shared my dream and moved to Bonaire, either permanently or for a shorter time, if you would share your story with us on the Scubaboard for those of us thinking about "living the dream".

Thanks.

Les..Bonaire is a GREAT place to both live and work. Unfortunately, generally speaking if you work for money, Bonaire is NOT the best place to do it if you get my drift. The average salaries are very low compared to US standards. I won't quote the statistical average but it's low.

My advice is to make your money in the states (yea I know corp America sucks)and then ease into Bonaire when you're financially able to. However if you really don't care much about money (and there are many people that fit this description, you may be one) Bonaire could be a great place for you. Some more advice...Spend much more time then 3 visits on the island to get a better feel for it.

Hey it started snowing while I was typing my post. If a little pixie dust would plop me on to Torries Reef or Something Special - bring on a truck load. Got any CoolTech! Wizzard, I am familiar with Bonarie Talk and check it out frequently. It's a good site. I have the immigration docs, etc. and I understand that the best way to make a million dollars in the scuba busness is to start with two million. I realize I would be fortunate to just get by if I made a move. I've read Don't Stop the Carnival. And am somewhat familiar with the Dutch culture working for ABN AMRO for 12 years - a Dutch bank - and traveling to the Netherlands several times.

So let me tell you a story since no ones posted one yet. My best friend recently died of cancer - he was a multi-millionaire living in Ireland - like he said, what good is all this money, it couldn't help him. But that's not the story. He lived on the French Rivera for 7 yrs. and befriend a couple from Canada. The Canadian couples dream was to live on the French Rivera and they did it for 6 years. Two years after they moved back to Canada the husband passed away. When it happened his wife said at least he lived his dream. I guess that is the context of my vicarious post. Did you ever say if I died diving at least I was doing something I love to do?

So for those of us who dream on a snowy day in Chicago and for people like CoolTech and GypsyJim tell us your story. What made you move? How did it work out for you? Did you get island fever? Why did you leave? Why did you stay? Was it worth it?

Now where did I leave that pixie dust? :wink:

The person you all need to talk with is Liz the owner of the Golden Reef Inn. She probably wouldn't want to post her story on the net but It would be worth the cost of lunch and drinks when you are on island to talk with her on this subject!

Back
Top Bottom