Movie Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ed3362

Reaction score
I want to get a movie camer for underwater use under a $1,000? Any suggestions of what is a good choice?

I doubt if there's anything out there factory made for under $1000 for both the camera and the housing but you can make your own housing for less then $200.

Take a look at mine.

Video Housing

Scott

:walking: That looks like a fun project. Where do you get the main parts? Plumbing store?
Ed

A home improvement store or good hardware store should have most of what you need to start. The main body of the housing is PVC, which can also be found free of charge at many construction sites. The controls are from Ikelite, the latches are the same kind found on most camera housings and canister lights. All you need as far as tools go are a good hand saw, some sand paper, a drill, a few clamps and a roughter with a 1/4 inch square bit. Of course if you happen to have access to some power tools that will make things much easyer.

Scott

Some of the professional housings come with a fish-eye front. Is that necessary for a good picture, or is a plexiglass good enough?
ED

I used a flat port/plexiglas lens for years until I installed the dome port along with the lights. I thought the video was great witht he flat lens but I know that the field of view is cut down with a flat port and that you have a wider view with a dome port. I'm no pro at UWVideo but from what I've read a flat port is good if you're planning on using the cameras zoom but the dome port is more for standard video. The dome port actually produces a virtual image just in front of the camera and zooming in and out doesn't work to well with a dome port as the camera supposedly has a hard time focusing.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom