Moving to Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The donkeys are not an endangered species by any stretch. Nor are they indigenous to Bonaire. Nothing zoologically unique. They were marooned on the island a couple hundred years ago and have thrived just fine on brackish water and cactus. They are the descendants of those brought to Bonaire to work the salt flats and for other beast of burden needs way back when. The catch and castrate program had some flaws in deployment which got the residents a little bent, so it was abandoned, sort of. The donkeys have become something of a tourist trap attraction, so the battle rages at the pace of Dutch government on how to deal with them.

The donkeys are not an endangered species by any stretch. Nor are they indigenous to Bonaire. Nothing zoologically unique. They were marooned on the island a couple hundred years ago and have thrived just fine on brackish water and cactus. They are the descendants of those brought to Bonaire to work the salt flats and for other beast of burden needs way back when. The catch and castrate program had some flaws in deployment which got the residents a little bent, so it was abandoned, sort of. The donkeys have become something of a tourist trap attraction, so the battle rages at the pace of Dutch government on how to deal with them.

This seems to match what the other poster may have been referring to:

I have seen that article before, but is has been awhile. The findings as I recall, are still being debated. So, the process and argument is moving at the pace of Dutch government. At the current pace, I suspect the donkeys are (relatively) safe for the next couple decades.

I think the Bonaire donkeys were determined (or are suspected?) to be descendants of the nearly-extinct Nubian ass, and the capture-and-castrate program was pretty clearly at odds with the critically-endangered status of the species. Only two populations reportedly survive, including Bonaire’s.
From the Wikipedia page on the Nubian ass:

"In 2014–2015, a mitochondrial DNA analysis was conducted on a population of feral donkeys on the Caribbean island of Bonaire. The study included DNA samples from the Bonaire animals, museum specimens of Nubian wild asses, sequences from four Somali wild asses, and a sequence from one Domestic donkey, used as a control. The results found that the Bonaire animals were very close to known pure Nubian wild asses and very different from other asses. However, research published in 2010 found that modern donkeys are descended from two lineages of wild ass, one being Nubian and the other being of unknown ancestry.[7] This being the case, the fact that only one donkey was used in the test suggests that the findings are rather inconclusive. For more conclusive results to be found, more testing must be completed with a larger group of donkeys. Additionally, the analysis was a result of an outcry over the government of Bonaire planning a cull of the feral animals, leading to the possibility of the results being slightly biased towards shutting down the cull.[8]"

I recall this debate over castrating the donkeys raging, and got the impression that the Nubian ass angle was a convenient excuse to oppose the cull of what, for Bonaire, is an invasive species (granted, not the donkeys' fault).

We did exactly what you are talking about ~5 years ago and for much the same reason.

First .. to correct an earlier comment, you are not likely interested in becoming a (Dutch) citizen but rather a Bonairian resident, the two are not the same. If you are a US citizen, obtaining local residency is not difficult but like everything on island it takes time and the rules/policies/process changes. There are some locals who, for a modest price, will work with you through the entire process.

Regarding buying real estate, the market for used homes as well as lots has exploded in recent years as it has done around the world. While you can find properties in your price range, a lot will depend on what your “must haves” are. Regardless I’d suggest watching EVERY real estate FB and Web page and keeping your own list of properties, lots, etc for when you get serious. Then find a realtor who will show you those properties, even if not their listings. Do NOT expect all local real estate agents to show you someone else’s listing on their own accord.

finally, regarding extended stays before making the decision, while it is good advice, this also depends on you and those joining you. We did not, after 2 short stays, we bought our forever home, sold our US home, and haven't looked back once.

feel free to DM me if you’d like any other thoughts.

Expat rule of thumb is to rent for 1 year before buying anything. Also check out the immigration laws with a local attorney. Everywhere else is not like the southern border of the USA.

I live part-time on an island now in Florida and prefer it 100% to the mainland. Less traffic and congestion, but a bit longer to get to I-95.

The other take away from this thread is that a significant number of folks who have tried out island life for a few years (or less!) end up returning home permanently due to the challenges alluded to by @Jersey. We have all seen and envied the 20 somethings living the life as crew on various LOB. How many stick it out to their 40s, let alone their 50s? Not many....

I am a Resident of Aruba but tell people I would never want to stay there all year. So 6 or 7 months in Aruba and the rest in Indiana. So I get Spring and Fall in Indiana and Summer and Winter in Aruba. I had a snorkel business in Aruba, so when the covid hit, I sold it, So now I do 3 months on Bonaire, 3 months in Aruba and 6 in Indiana. I really enjoy that. 12 months on a Island is the same weather everyday, No seasons. But like they say: Different strokes for different Folks!!
So, how are you a legal resident of Aruba if only on island 3mos per calendar year. Generally, residency required 6mos+1 day or more living of the island (in the country).

As for year round residency, as you say different strokes …. We are on Bonaire and dafter. 5 years will never leave our home island and life.

We love Bonaire and are considering moving? We love the area and the ability to dive at a moments notice is a big sell as well.. We're getting older "50s" and would love to maximize those bubbles with the good years that we have left. How's purchasing property or a home in Bonaire? Any tips? What may we expect around 400k. I know there are local realty companies and we'll certainly inquire but I wondered if anyone here had any experience that they wished to share.
Purchasing a property is much easier for the most part. Getting a checking account is unlike anything you have experienced in the US. At the price range, you are looking at they get bought up quickly so under the current market best to be on island after you have lived here first for 6 months min to make sure you want to live here full time. Yes, use a real estate company. But, know they do not need to be licensed. We have a condo but still live in the US most of the year. If you have questions ok to DM. If you do buy, you will love escrow 20 mins tops and sign one paper and you are the new owners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom