Moving to DSLR - Why Olympus vs Nikon or Canon - Do you have an opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1082026877_2h9fu-M.jpg

This photo looks like it was taken with a fisheye lens (it's a great photo, by the way).

The thing is, a shot with a fisheye lens is a poor example of your point about lag time. Mirrorless cameras have longer focus lag than dSLRs, but there's an easy trick to avoid focus lag with a fisheye lens: switch to manual focus. Most fisheye lenses stay in focus from about a foot to infinity, and that extreme DOF makes it easy to take photos without resorting to autofocus.

Once you eliminate focus lag, there's no difference in speed between mirrorless and SLR cameras.

vladimir, I would tend to agree with you.

Unfortunately, however vigilant one may be, there are always odd circumstances which crop up. I recently tried to bring up another diver's weight pocket which had detached, on the ascent line I couldn't hold it. It slid over my Ikelite housing and popped a latch. Not completely open, just enough to flood my camera. I didn't even see the problem because it was at night. I had been using the camera and checking the case during the dive. This unique circumstance took out my camera. How many other people have you heard complain that their camera was flooded in a rinse tank?

This is why I say it's inevitable.

vladimir, I would tend to agree with you.

Unfortunately, however vigilant one may be, there are always odd circumstances which crop up. I recently tried to bring up another diver's weight pocket which had detached, on the ascent line I couldn't hold it. It slid over my Ikelite housing and popped a latch. Not completely open, just enough to flood my camera. I didn't even see the problem because it was at night. I had been using the camera and checking the case during the dive. This unique circumstance took out my camera. How many other people have you heard complain that their camera was flooded in a rinse tank?

This is why I say it's inevitable.
I agree that it might be inevitable with an Ikelite housing. That locking mechanism is unsatisfactory if it can be released inadvertently. A mishap like that is not possible with my housing.

Last edited:
....For DSLRs, I would limit myself to either Nikon or Canon. Both companies are the only companies that have a full line of excellent lenses and cameras. Nobody else is even in the game....
Granted, Nikon and Canon are the market leaders, but...

Sony is very much in the DSLR business. Their cameras are excellent, and there are plenty of excellent lenses available, including the Sony offerings and all the Minolta AF lenses too. Sony makes the sensors that most other camera makers use, so they understand that key technology well. Sony does not have the professional user base that Canon or Nikon have, but their cameras are worth considering.

Pentax is also a full line maker of DSLRs. Their market share is not huge, but the name still sells.

I am struggling to understand how all you ikelite owners are popping open latches? I have two Ike cases and I find it not that easy to open when I am sitting in my living room. The latch has a safety catch that you have to hold while opening. I do not believe you could open it by brushing against something.

Stano

I am struggling to understand how all you ikelite owners are popping open latches? I have two Ike cases and I find it not that easy to open when I am sitting in my living room. The latch has a safety catch that you have to hold while opening. I do not believe you could open it by brushing against something.

Stano

Ditto. I struggle on dry land.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Granted, Nikon and Canon are the market leaders, but...

Sony is very much in the DSLR business. Their cameras are excellent, and there are plenty of excellent lenses available, including the Sony offerings and all the Minolta AF lenses too. Sony makes the sensors that most other camera makers use, so they understand that key technology well. Sony does not have the professional user base that Canon or Nikon have, but their cameras are worth considering.

Pentax is also a full line maker of DSLRs. Their market share is not huge, but the name still sells.
What are you housing your Sony, Pentax, or Minolta in? One of the problems with non-Canon, non-Nikon cameras is that you don't have the same choice in housings that those brands' cameras do.

Stano,

I believe I am the only Ikelite user to have this happen to.

A loaded weight pouch slid between the handle of my Ikelite housing and the latch. It was thick enough to depress the safety tab and had enough weight and grip to pop the latch. I would not have expected this to be possible, but it happened. This occurred at the surface and at night. So I couldn't see the problem and depth pressure wasn't sufficient to hold the case closed.

Yet another diving corollary to Murphy's law.

What are you housing your Sony, Pentax, or Minolta in? One of the problems with non-Canon, non-Nikon cameras is that you don't have the same choice in housings that those brands' cameras do.

A strange comment on an Olympus sub-forum, since Olympus markets their own Olympus-branded dSLR housings, while Canon and Nikon ignore that part of the market. I'd argue that Olympus dSLRs are easiest to house, followed by Canon and Nikon, and then all the rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom