Moving to Finger Lakes Region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beau640

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone

My job is taking me to the finger lakes region/ithica NY area. Being in Michigan I've been spoiled by multiple quarries, the great lakes, and many small inland lakes within a 2 hour drive of me. Is anyone familiar with the finger lakes area? Anything to dive in the lakes? Any quarries around?

Thanks!

Beau

Skaneateles. Very clear, cold spring fed and trout and perch inhabited. I did not dive there ( too cold ) but saw others do including NY State Police. Beautiful little historic town and lake. Worth visiting just as a dry tourist. May be nicest little town in the region.

This is photo from late Winter 2017 which was a cold windy super non-optimal day but hard core troopers were training anyways. Many days are much much better and calmer obviously. I just don’t have photos of those nice days handy. These “Staties were diving right off the main tourist area but there are boat rentals and some other shore access places too.

upload_2018-6-20_7-22-13.jpeg

upload_2018-6-20_7-24-55.jpeg

cold, deep, and featureless....

Thankfully, the St. Lawrence is a few hours (2:50 to Alexandria Bay) north..... Erie is a few more west (3:30 to Barcelona - Osprey Charters).....

I figured they were deep dark and featureless. Was hoping there would be quarries or something around since in Michigan if you’re not in the Great Lakes most lakes are featureless but there’s luckily two major quarries in northern Ohio. Admittedly I don’t know much about diving the Saint Lawrence River are there charters or is it mostl shore diving

There are a few great dive shops in Syracuse (about 1 hour from ITH). My favorite two are Deep Stop Scuba and Fingerlakes Scuba (actually in Auburn, but still an hour). There is an active dive club in the area called Auburn Skin Divers Association. The best option, as noted above, is the St. Lawrence River, just a few hours and some of the best fresh water wreck diving in the world, charters in season from both US and Canadian sides.

Seneca Lake has one charter boat that dives some old barges. Not too exciting, but a reason to dive. Also an hour from ITH.

There are also Facebook pages: Upstate NY Scuba Activities, Active Divers of CNY, Central New York Technical Divers

You can PM for more information or introductions around, I live in the area.

I just stopped in to Barcelona NY to check out the Marina below the historic lighthouse. It looked like a great place for boating , and it has been mentioned for Scuba, but what type of dive sites are there? There looked like a couple B&B across street from marina entrance, so if Diving is good, it looks like a nice location. Right off Rte 90 so not hard to find.

The Thousand Islands and Great Lakes are within striking distance of the Finger Lakes.

Ill be checking out the thousand islands early September. Going to be nice to have that close by

Back
Top Bottom