Moving to Kelowna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcoz

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I'm moving to Kelowna in a few months and am interested to know what how active the dive community is in the area. I currently dive mostly lakes/quarries here in GA so I'm not anticipating anything too amazing out of the local dive sites but ideally I'm still planning on getting wet a couple of times a month.

Also, any idea on water temps during the winter ?

Thanks!

The good news is you will be within a 4 hour drive of the ocean. Great diving on the coast. Ocean temp 6 to 8 degrees in winter. Time to start thinking metric :)

There are several good dive shops in and around Kelowna and one in Salmon Arm. Are you on Facebook? There several FB groups for meeting divers in Kelowna, the Okanagan and Salmon Arm.

There is a good dive shop in Vernon as well - Innerspace Diving. They were my "go to" shop when I lived in the north Okanagan.Their website address is innerspacewatersports.com, and they have a Facebook page.

Divegoose

There are several good dive shops in and around Kelowna and one in Salmon Arm. Are you on Facebook? There several FB groups for meeting divers in Kelowna, the Okanagan and Salmon Arm.

Thanks spc751, can you point me to those groups ?

I’ve dove Okanagan lake a few times, in the summer the thermocline is very distinct. Hit about 20 feet and you’re glad you have a drysuit. I went off a beach at Ellison Provincial Park in Vernon (30 minutes from Kelowna). Neat topography, some fish (carp:Kokanee) and some sunken stuff (boats, diving bell etc). Vis was good, about 20 feet. Best part is the kids think a sea monster is coming up when you ascend.

Thanks spc751, can you point me to those groups ?
Search FB for
Shuswap Dive Club
Okanagan Dive Club
Okanagan Divers

There are several groups for the Vancouver area as well if you even want to dive when you are visiting Vancouver. Several of the interior dive shops organize dive trips to the coast every winter.

Back
Top Bottom