Moving to Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernMelody

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok know that I this board will let me post I wanted to know as much as possible about where I'm going to be living :)

I am moving to Utila Dec 23rd 2006 and and excited but terrified. I will need to find an appartement...any suggestions?? My husband will be staying at the Mango-inn for the first week and then I'm on my own!

Is theft a big problem on the island?

Do I need abduction Insurance if I stay on the island?

What's the power voltage generally used?

Is it difficult to get gear repaired?

I have sooo many questions, but that's my start!

Any info will be appriciated:D
CJ

Hi

I have lived here for quite a long time, please feel free to message me any questions.

Answers to above

Theft ...It can be depends what you are talking about

Abduction Insurance ....nah

Voltage 110v

Repairs ...depends what you need repaired

Just PM me I will help all I can

Hi Melody-

Talk about jumping in with both feet. Anyway, Utila is a great little rock. I've spent a considerable amount of time there and will be spending more in the years to come. Happy to answer any questions you might have (and Steve is a great resource).

Just remember to take the same or slightly more precautions that you would take at home. Lock your door, don't flash jewlery or cash, don't walk home alone late at night. Just because you are on an idyllic tropical island doesn't mean that you can throw caution to the wind.

Enjoy your adventure.

OK, CJ...why are going to Utila to live?

You can get a furnished apt pretty reasonable by the month. See Annie up on Coountryside. (up from the fire station)

PM Steve, he'll help.

Check out www.aboututila.com.

Regards

Thanks all..I'm moving to Utila to become a MSDT, I am leaving the trucking business becuase my doctors told me too and beside why not? :)

I was thinking of bringing a laptop...as long as I keep it locked up at my place...where ever that will be...it should be ok?

As for appartments..that's a HUGE concern becuase I've been told not to get a place until I arrive otherwise I'll end up paying 100 bucks or so more per month. So my plan as of right now is to arrive Dec 24th gear in tow and pray for the best. My husband (coming in on another flight) will most likely be staying at the mango-inn and I hope to crash with him (if they'll let me) until I can find a spot.

Another important question...any musicians out that way :wink: I'm always tooking to form a band (I'm a singer)

I'll pm Steve..thanks for everything!

NorthernMelody:
I was thinking of bringing a laptop...as long as I keep it locked up at my place...where ever that will be...it should be ok?

The lifespan of a laptop in the tropics is about 18-24 months. The insides get all green and gooey. Maybe better to use the internet cafe?

Another important question...any musicians out that way :wink: I'm always tooking to form a band (I'm a singer)

You might have an instant "in" if you get something going. I have seen any number of singers and entertainers trading their services for a roof, food and/or SCUBA.

No truck driving allowed! Go for it!

Thanks for the info...I'll be sure to keep the singing in mind...to me it kinda just twist my rubber arm :)

how much would the internet cafe cost? I am a rather prolific user...eeks..now I sound like a druggie...lol

The good part being that I'm only staying...initially for 6 months...or that's the plan at the moment...who knows eh?

Hi Melody,

have you looked at www.aboututila.com?

You will be fine, I have lived here for 18 months with no real issues. Just take reasonable precautions as the others said. I have a laptop and just take care not to leave it anywhere unattended, violent crime against tourists is rare and abductions almost unheard of.

Internet costs depend on where you end up. I offer my instructors free internet access, as do most shops. Otherwise around $1.50 to $2 per hour is normal.

Arriving Christmas eve I would just share your husbands room and do your house hunting after Xmas day is done. You should be able to get a room in a shared house or appartment for around $250 per month. There are plenty. Just dont go asking for Annie at Countryside cos sadly she died earlier this year! Her husband is Woody and he runs the 5 sisters hardware store in town. There are plenty of privately rented properties available.

I hope this all helps.

Regards

Simon

Sorry to hear about Annie's death.

Regards,

Ok I'll keep not asking for Annie in mind :) I have used the aboututila.com quite often actually. I'm really just fussing for the most part being as this is a massive life change for me, but I am truely excited about this. Anyways..Lunch time!

Back
Top Bottom