Moving - Where to rent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haole Rob

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First post. Hello everyone. I've long been a saltwater enthusiast, and I only stopped reefkeeping when I began to understand the damage caused by the industry. For years I've dreamed of moving to a place where I can enjoy the beauty of ocean life without harming it.

That dream has finally come true with a job offer on Oahu. It's not the surf I'm after or the beach. I don't want hammocks or hiking. I'm not for deep sea fishing. I hope to spend my free time down where it's wetter, down where it's better, under the sea. Haha.

Anyway, I'm going to be working in Honolulu, between Sand Island and the airport. Up to a 1 hr commute doesn't bother me. My rent budget goes up to about $3,500. And I will be needing a 3 bedroom. I've looked at Zillow till I'm blue in the face. And I've basically decided that it's all beginning to look the same.

Aside from a cute little cabin on Mt Tantalus and a Townhome right on the canal in East Oahu (Hawaii Kai), nothing looks much different than the others. So I began to wonder if there is a better spot to live for diving.

What I mean by that, I don't really know. Since I know virtually nothing about the hobby, I don't know what the life of a diver is like. I suppose some day I'd like to take my own boat out and dive at my leisure. But I don't even know if that's realistic.

Well, any direction would be helpful. Thanks for taking the time to read and for any responses!

Rob.

Better than Oahu? I've never been there except to change planes. I would probably pick any of the other islands, but your job is on Oahu. I'm considering buying a small house on Hawai'i (big island) because I've heard the shore diving is good. I'm also considering Cozumel but it has more limited shore diving. I've done several nice shore dives on Maui but my budget says Hawai'i.

Hawaii Lai
KAhala
Kailua

you could even make it to the North Shore from that side of town

Back
Top Bottom