Moz - Ponta do Ouro any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamas970

Contributor
Reaction score
Switzerland - way too far from warm seas:(
# of dives
100 - 199
Still haven't decided for my 2017 spring (April) trip. I have limited time (10days) and want to combine diving with some nice southern hemisphere stargazing - latter is probably going to happen in a SA farm.

Ponta do Ouro seems to be easy to access via Durban, has anyone dived there?

How is the coral, visibility there?
Any big stuff (Manta, whaleshark) to see in April?

Last edited:
Hi,
I used to live in SA and return at least twice a year to dive. I was last in Ponta August 2015.
April is the end of the sharky season in Ponta. All sorts of big stuff can appear there between October and April. You can read an article I recently wrote about it here. Ponta do Ouro article
It's a five-hour drive from Durban to the border post. From there you need 4WD. You can rent a cheap economy car and leave it at the carpark at the border and arrange transfers from there and back. Cheaper than renting a 4WD for a week.

There is the best reef diving in South Africa at Rocktail Beach four hours north of Durban. Article link here Rocktail Beach article

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom