Mozambique - negative entry, boyfriend with equalizing problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok thanks, I'll check that out! Must be nice to also see the dragons there on a land excursion :)

I took pictures of these guys partying on south Rinca beach during surface interval:

IMG_5234.JPG

IMG_5235.JPG

If a negative entry is a must, then he needs to be be able to verify he can easily clear on the surface. You can pre-press your ears on the surface if you are going in really negative to give you a jump start. Not really suggested as you can damage your ears and of course you should be trying to have a balanced rig so only negative 4-5 lbs to account for your breathing gas consumption (depending on what tanks you'll be breathing down). A few pounds over weighted isn't a big deal but you should always be able to fin up your rig if your inflator unexpectedly fails. A better idea is to have your captain drop you off a bit further up current to allow for a slower descent. If it is really a ripping current and you must hit the mark then I'd really consider not doing the dive. Nothing sucks worse than having to really fin hard to get back to a spot, getting stressed and burning up your gas.

That said, negative entries aren't that big of a deal BUT, you must be absolutely ready to descend once you roll off the boat. clear early and often and don't let your pressure build up to where it gets hard (or painful).

Hi!

I think that you will find it more chilled than it's made out to be, most operators and Dive masters will only do a Negative entry if everyone is comfortable doing it...

Most of the time I do Negatives to get past the first 3 meters, makes us less woozy and also helps me equalizing surprisingly.

You shouldn't stress too much, contact an operator and just chat to them, generally the viz is good so it really shouldn't matter that much, and the current really shouldn't be as bad as you've been made to believe it be.

They do Open Water courses, so they cant always do negative entries, it would be breaking so many standards...

While you're there, pop down to South Africa and do some diving here :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom