Mozambique research projects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ietermagog

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at options of turning our existing tourism / dive lodge into a marine biology research station. We are based in Nacala, northern Mozambique, Africa. We have developed a marine protected area in front of the lodge which has proven to be very successful in regenerating corals and increasing biodiversity. I believe research should be used to actively promote projects beneficial to the area, and we have two oceanography universities in the country, although not nearby.
I must admit, I have no knowledge of the academic processes and requirements, but the environment seems perfect for various research projects in several ways:
one can walk directly off the beach from the diveshop into the water and have access every day of the year without the logistics of boat diving. We also have boats with small outboard engines to access reefs further away.
one can easily compare the area inside and outside of the reserve
use positive results of existing micro reserve to promote and develop the implementation of others in the country
scope for coral propogation as a means to develop or restore reefs previously destroyed by net fishing from the shore
Warehouses full of dead coral originally destined for export, are sitting in town which could be re-introduced to the reefs
there is an oil refinery, funded by US govt money, proposed for Nacala Bay - opportunity to study the impact of this as well as implement plans to reduce the impact
develop ideas for alternatives to artesenal fishing - there exists already an NGO seaweed farm and a private shrimp farm, what about mussels on mooring buoys or reserve buoys etc - involving local communities to protect areas, or rotate fishing zones
Humpback whales enter the bay every year from Aug to Nov with their calves and sometimes to calve, and because of the nature of the bay it is easy to keep track of them. Their songs can be heard loud and clear.

These are just a few ideas, and I would appreciate input from scientists and students as to what you consider viable. Are there independent scientists who have their own projects who want to be based somewhere? Should there be a resident scientist who can offer courses? Do students just want a place to research a specific topic for a thesis, independant of a structured course, and for how long? Perhaps NGO's want a base from which to develop projects?
Thanks in advance for your answers as well as any pointers in the right direction.
Regards

FIM DO MUNDO SAFARIS
Nacala, Northern Mozambique
Fim do Mundo Safaris: Bay Diving beach resort in Nacala, Northern Mozambique

Not being familiar with the country and the specific area you are in, I would think that there are good possibilities for this. If the oceanography universities are not too distant (in terms of time to travel there), your location might be good for both graduate student research (possible long-term occupancy on the order of months) and for longer-term (1 week or more) undergraduate class field visits.

One drawback might be the anticipated charges. Since you are running a dive resort now at the facility, can the facility survive economically on the presumably lower fees that might be charged for academic activities?

I'm a kelp forest ecologist and therefore work in temperate waters here on Santa Catalina Island off Los Angeles. We have a field station here owned by the University of Southern California. It offers undergrad and graduate courses for an entire academic term, as well as facilities for longer-term researchers (graduate students and professors). They also run Elder Hostel educational programs for senior citizens which adds revenue to the mix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom