Suggestion Mozilla/Firefox ScubaBoard and ScubaToys search plugins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Humuhumunukunukuapua'a
Reaction score
Thanks to rab for pointing out that you can post zip files.

Here they are! These plugins will add scubaboard and/or scubatoys to your search options in Firefox (up there in the search window that comes with Google by default). To install them:

Unzip either or both...whichever searches you want.

Each zip file has two files in it: a small XML file with a .src extension, and a jpg graphic. There is nothing even potentially virusy here at all.

Copy both files into the "searchplugins" directory of Firefox. For me, that's at:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins
Your may be elsewhere depending where you have Firefox installed.

Restart Firefox.

Now you should be all set. To choose where to search click the Google icon in the search window and change it to scubaboard or scubatoys.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions :D Maybe post a reply to this thread if you use the plugin and like it/dislike it or have suggestions. It's nice to know if it's useful.

Thanks to Yukoneer for making icons.

Gregg

I noticed on the page for "Add Engines..." that some of the alternates are installed "live" with the click of an "javascript:addengine(...)" link. Any way that magic can be used to avoid the restart of Firefox? (Of course, I've already restarted and they both work just fine so it's kinda moot.)

-Rob

I think that's just for when the plugin is registered with Mozilla and downloadable from their site. I did submit my plugins to them some time ago, and asked about them more recently with no reply. So, I've taken up the distribution end of things myself :wink:

You can actually put the files on a web server and link them directly into firefox using Javascript, no need to download the zip and install. Firefox will do it for you.

Have a look at the function window.sidebar.addSearchEngine

It takes params for the src file, the image, and the name.

Mike

Sure thing. If anyone wants to set that up, feel free. I have offered the admins here and the folks at ScubaToys to feel free to post these in a place people will actually find them, but no one has bothered to do so yet. Most people who have tried them out seem to find them useful, so I imagine those who want them badly enough will find them. But, seriously feel free to post them anywhere and set up the javascript auto-add if you like.

I think the real place to post/host them is someplace easy to find here on scubaboard, but despite suggestions from the admins that they could do that, nothing has ever been done to make the plugin available beyond my sig and this thread. Seems like an easy link somewhere prominent on the main forum page that called the javascript to auto-add the plugin would be a good thing, but what do I know? :wink:

why not to put on the mozilla site ?
well done and thank you.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a,
I've got the thread bookmarked and one day I'm sure we'll find the proper place but right now Mozilla makes up a pretty low percentage of visitors so it's not a top priority. However, I personally have tried this so thanks!

I just found this plug in. Thanks a lot.

I wonder how many of us on this forum are using Mozilla/Firefox?

Back
Top Bottom