Mt Agung Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strange as most of the ash cloud is moving away from the airport. Airport is due to reopen later today.
The longest the airport has been closed was 48 hours since the awakening of the volcano last year. No need to panic as this may just mean a couple extra days holiday for travelers on the ground.
More info on the ash cloud movement can be found here: Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisories

The airport is closed until 7PM this Friday and might reopen then. They are closely monitoring the situation but everything is going smoothly on Bali (besides today's flights).

For latest information: I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport | Bali

My sister landed there this morning, that being morning in Bali. She didn't say anything about it.

Is there a ferry from Bali to Labuan Bajo? How long does it take? Just in case I need to find an alternative way to Komodo for my LOB.

Last edited:
Hopefully you won’t need it. I have never done it, bur I found this info: Bali to Flores by boat

Another option is to skip Bali & fly from Jakarta to Labuan Bajo directly with Garuda Airlines.
Garuda Now flies Direct Jakarta-Labuan Bajo’s Komodo Airport
Thanks.

I have a tech course in Bali followed by some recreational diving in Lembongan before heading to Labuan Bajo, so bypassing Bali is not a preferred option. Once in Bali, I need to ensure tat there is some way of getting to Komodo in case the airport gets closed after I arrive in Bali. I will, of course, book to fly via Jakarta and cut Bali and Lembongan out of my itinerary should Denpasar airport be closed and I can't get to Bali.

Found another info from:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mylifesamovie.com/get-komodo-island-budget/amp/

“Take a Ferry From Bali to Komodo Island
Before you go getting all excited at a drastically cheaper option, just know that the ferries take an extremely long time (36 hours) to get there, and it’s not exactly comfortable for that long of a ride. OH, and it’s dangerous. I’m serious. If you’re scared to fly in small planes, you have a lot more to worry about on a ship that sails over shallow, rocky waters. Just saying.

The route from Bali to Komodo Island is said to be seriously hard to navigate, but it’s also said to be quite the adventure. Either way, I would prefer it if no one died before they got to see the Komodo Dragons, so maybe opt for the flight if you can.

Below is the ferry schedule and pricing from Komodo Island National Park‘s website:

Indonesia Sea Transportation Company(PELNI) at Jalan Raya Kuta No. 299, Tuban – Bali (Tel: 0361 – 763 963) to reserve a seat on the KM. Tilong Kabila, which departs Benoa Port, Bali bound for Bima and Labuan Bajo

Benoa-Bima-Labuan Bajo
Fortnightly (every two weeks) on Saturdays: 09.00-20.00 (next day).
One-way ticket (as of 10/6/06) from Rp. 143,000.00 – Rp. 435,000.00

Labuan Bajo-Bima-Benoa
Fortnightly (every two weeks) on Thursdays: 08.00-11.00 (next day).
One-way ticket (as of 10/6/06) from Rp. 143,000.00 – Rp. 435,000.00

Note: the ferry schedule and ticket prices may change with or without prior notice”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom