Mt. Storm current conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Doc
Do you have any idea what the water temps are at Storm? Time to go back to the water(had to take a sabatical after one of those incidents, so looking to go back shallow and easy).

I haven't been back to Mount Storm in a long while. This time last year the water was 48-50 degrees at the platforms.

Thanks DOC I know you have been there(I have met you there) and thought of all I know you might have been there more recently. Guess it will have to be a surprise when I get there. Oct, 17 was my last dive(had a little problem) and have sat out for a while, just to make sure all is well. Look forward to the season starting again.
Thanks again

If anyone makes it up to the Storm soon please PM me with the temps. I have some refresher folks that need to get wet asap. Thanks in advance. :O)

I didn't have gear to dive with me unfortunately, but made it by there last weekend just to take a peek on the way north. There were two friendly gents from Maryland diving on Sunday. They reported temps in the low 50's at 45ft depth and visibility in the 5ft range. To share some quotes - "not alot of fun today" "come back later in the season". Regardless, if I'd had my gear, I'd have dove it... temp doesn't bother me but would be nice to hear of some better vis though given how little diving was being done there. Also, it looked like two stacks were running currently.

Cheers.

Conditions as of Tuesday 26 April 11:

Mt. Storm dive conditions - Our first trip to the Storm this season to finish our Public Safety Diver Course. We had 2'-3' seas, water temps were 64*F down to about 30' with no noticeable thermocline and visibility in the 4'-5' range. Still a little chilly for wet diving but the dry suit made it plenty nice. The "seas" as I describe them, really were ocean like. Rolling waves coming in sets with surge that pounded the shore. I had never seen them quite like that at the Storm.

I was there 11 May and the water temps were 70*F down to about 30' and the vis was about 6' to 8'. Things are looking up. We were going up there today but the forecast was 80% chance of thunderstorms and a high of 69*F so we opted out and rescheduled for next Saturday.

Some of our friends went anyway and turns out it was beautiful up there today.....stupid weather man. :O) They reported 72*F water temps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom