Mucus accumulation during ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeker242

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So this has been happening a couple times here and there. Not because I was sick though. I haven't been sick in a long time. Last dive it prompted a gag reflex at one of the stops. That wasn't that big of a deal, but I imagine that if I had other important things to pay attention to beside little fish, I'm sure it would have taken my attention away from that. If I had actually choked on it, that would have been a bigger deal I think. How do you all deal with this sort of thing? I basically just been waiting til we get to the surface to blow my nose. I guess I could clear the mask and end up with a mask full of snot. Or remove it and blow the snot all over my buddies at the stop, although, I'm not sure if they would appreciate that or not, lol.

My mucus loosening at last stop is predictable enough I'd trust it as a depth gauge for a blind ascent. Depending on how I'm feeling I'll clear my mask, remove mask or wait till I surface.

Sounds like you're the right track with options available.
Cameron

P.s. if a buddy is going to feed the fish on a deco stop I'd prefer a nose clear over a warhammer maneuver.

Having recently broken my nose (for the umpteenth time), undoing some really nice reconstruction work, surfacing now results in near vomit conditions as my rearranged sinus' reacclimate...... Think I need to undergo another rebuild...

Lesson learned: Don't google everything you read on scubaboard! :vomit:

I blow it out. Fish eat it.

Unfortunate timing.

To get back on helpful topics.

One way I handle it is tilting the mask away from my face just long enough to blow my nose onto my gloves, reaching under the skirt. Easier than a full mask removal and tons quicker.

Regards,
Cameron

P.s. slightly remorseful for not adding a warning before dropping a warmhammer reference in good company.

I normally take some Clariton-D before diving, but even at that, as soon as I surface and remove my mask, I can feel that my sinuses are full. Fortunately, I don't feel it under water so as quickly as I can after getting to the surface, I get away from others and hock a luggee wherever I can.

Hmmm, I have an appointment with my MD this Monday. I'll try to think to ask him about that. Thanks for the suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom