Mulling over BP/W options...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Liked my 2XL Sherwood Avid BCD but the top cam band attachment tore off at a plastic connector, so I'm mulling over replacement BCD options. One possibility is BP/W. From some reading, if I go this route, I want donut (not horseshoe) wing for max. ease of gas bubble circulation, probably steel BP and weight-integrated (I can use weight belts, but it's not my preferred go-to). I want a 'regular,' sturdy system, not something 'travel' that might be a little lighter at the potential cost of durability. It's probably going into checked baggage on flights.

I'm about 6'1", around 265 lbs, chunky of course, not 'handy' and I like easy/convenient. I won't be doing home mod.s, drilling holes, etc... Strictly a single-tank recreational diver. Most diving water water in a 3 mm shorty, but some local quarry diving in 5 mm wetsuit (plus hood & gloves; bitterly cold in the bottom), and had one trip to California so should be cold water capable. In the quarry I use an old Worthington HP Steel 130-cf tank; on vacation I've used AL-80, AL-100, Steel 95, LP Steel 120 and HP Steel 100 over the years. So lift should be pretty strong, but I don't dive doubles. From what I read, 30 - 40 lbs. should suffice? I liked my Avid's trim pockets, so trim pockets would also be nice.

DSS is presently not selling, and from what I understand the Freedom Contour is probably backlogged by demand. Judging from the DGX site, if you get your plate & wing from the same manufacturer, you're less likely to need a STA. Just when a STA is needed, and whether it's beneficial even when not 'needed,' isn't clear to me. I'd like to buy a package (e.g.: a Deep 6 setup, not one brand's BP, another's wing, webbing from whoever, brand X weight pouches...no Franken-kit).

I'm used to diving with a Sherwood Gemini Air2 (I'm guessing mentioning an Air2, split fins or Spare Air in the same sentence with BP/W may be grounds for lobbing eggs at me or something...), so I'm curious if it's practical to switch that over.

The prospect of trying to get the thing adjusted to me is daunting; likely to be doing that at home alone.

Minor aesthetic point: I don't like the silvery 'bare metal' look; if the BP were epoxy-coated a color, that'd be sweet. It's not a deal-breaker, just a preference.

Curious as to you guys views on 3 potential options:

1.) Deep 6 Gear's package deal. If I read right, this setup is coated so it sheds water and dries very fast. I like that. Sometimes we've cruised (I don't pay for balcony cabins; way too expensive) fast drying is a big deal. $54 Optional STA; do I need it?

2.) Dive Gear Express has a Dive Rite Transplate-based single system package. There's an option for a Voyager XT-Armored wing. Curious about that. I don't do wreck penetration & other 'high sharps' diving beyond the occasional swim-through, but if it's more durable/longer lasting, is there any reason why not? If I were buying a car & someone offered to make the windows bullet-proof for an extra $60 I'd probably do it, even though I don't anticipate being shot at.

I get that I don't need a Dive Rite transpac since I don't anticipate lengthy surface walks kitted up, and I'm guessing avoiding the extra padding is a good idea (& a selling point on getting away from a traditional BCD).

Is a butt plate a useful add-on (I don't use can-lights), and does the added length cause inconvenience?

Thanks in advance for your consideration & help. I was considering a ScubaPro Hydros Pro but reports of shoulder strap durability issues have me re-thinking.

Richard.

Freedom Plate and VDH wings. I have an 18# and a 33#. Hands down comfortable. Lots of info on the Freedom plate thread about configuring and webbing.
Yeah, it's not a one stop solution - takes a little effort. But after my recent trip to Great Cayman with it, wow!
But yes, it's shiny. Though that is hidden against my back.
The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.
No STA needed

Just when a STA is needed, and whether it's beneficial even when not 'needed,' isn't clear to me.
The name "Single Tank Adaptor" suggests the reason. The BP/W system is truly designed for double tanks, and both the backplate and wing have holes at the proper intervals to accommodate the bolts that come out of the space between the double tanks. If you don't have those bolts, you need something else to hold everything together.
  • The STA provides the two bolts, so that solves that problem right away. It is also designed to fit the curved surface of the tank in such a way as to create stability. (The tank won't wobble if the only contact point is the curved surface of the tank.) The STA also allows you to move easily from single tank to double tank should you go that route. Some models of STA also include weighting, and the STA itself has some weight. This is nice because the weight is distributed nicely over about a foot of your back rather than on a lump at your waist.
  • Many and perhaps most backplates and wings have slots that allow you to thread cambands through so you don't need the STA. The assembly attaches to the tank like a regular BCD. The problem with that is the single point of contact on the tank surface, which can cause the tank to wobble as you dive. Some wing makes have added "wobble stops," ridges that help hold the tank in place. The degree to which that works varies. For this system to work, the slots in the wing must match the slots in the BP, and you can guarantee that if you get both from the same company.
I'm used to diving with a Sherwood Gemini Air2 (I'm guessing mentioning an Air2, split fins or Spare Air in the same sentence with BP/W may be grounds for lobbing eggs at me or something...), so I'm curious if it's practical to switch that over.
Yes, many people with BP/Ws will be startled to see a BP/W owner with an Air2, but there is no connection between the BP/W and the regulator setup, so you can do whatever you like.

Is a butt plate a useful add-on (I don't use can-lights), and does the added length cause inconvenience?
I don't know anyone who uses a buttplate on a standard BP/W.

If you go this route, it will be really, really helpful to have someone familiar with the concept help you set it up.

Only replying because of your color comment. 6.0', 250#, longer back than legs. I have a black DGX alu plate, I dive it with a hog basic harness, DGX cam bands , DGX STA, second hand DRIS 32lbs wing trim pockets on the upper cam band and with cheap, sort of quick-releasable pockets on the waist band. Each pocket can take up to 5lbs. In my up to 8mm Neotek suit I need about 18 lbs, pending on tank, maybe 2lbs less haven't squeezed to the min yet. A bit less in my 5mm suit. Havent started to put weight on a weight belt yet either (If I had to take that rig off as is underwater I'd be very buoyant in my thick suit). May need bigher weight pockets (or just switch to SS plate and STA) with drysuit and fluffy stuff. Have not used it in the warm ocean yet, but plan to use a 32lbs or 23lbs hog wing (TBD) there w/o STA. Snapped those wings up on sale a while back (the kids dive too, so they all will find use). Then the STA gets married to a used SS plate as my cold water rig... Anyway, I still haven't tried wit hog wing and w/o STA (as travel rog configuration). but that's the plan.

Anyway, all that said, it's a no frills plate, but I see nothing wrong with it so far. However I have also not yet "felt" the plate yet it in a thin suit. And it's not silver (but that was / is irrelevant to me).

Richard. Do you want to use your Sherwood Air 2 on your new wing? If so I would start with wings that accept the same elbow connection.

Richard. Do you want to use your Sherwood Air 2 on your new wing? If so I would start with wings that accept the same elbow connection.
...Which you probably will not find. You can, however, replace the fitting that comes with it, as you can with any BCD.

I've used horseshoe wings for twenty years without issue.

Whether the donut is or isn't superior to the horseshoe approach seems to be debated and way outside my experience; the impression I got was that the donut air cell/wing is at least equal, and in the view of some meaningfully superior. Since I'm substituting the judgment of others in a matter where I have none of my own, so to speak, I figured I'd go donut.

Richard.

I bought my Zeagle backplate and wings from Zeagle Express. I have an aluminum backplate that is black. It’s nice.
I too was a little unsure about set up but there are a few sights to help guide you. For the last bit to cut the straps to size, I just went to my LDS and paid them to cut and sear the ends. Simple and painless.
I have no regrets yet on this decision.
I use the STA as I was told the 30lb wing needed the STA or the tanks would wobble.
Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom