Multiple 25 foot drills in a row???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mopardiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’ve been diving for 17 years, am not a reckless diver, and just want to practice SMB deployment multiple times in a row from about 25 feet in a rock quarry. My question is how many times could I drop down to 25 feet and do the deployment drill and retrieve it on the surface and repeat the drill without seriously risking DCS? I plan on doing a giant stride and performing this drill a few times with no nitrogen already in my system after kicking away from the entry point. I’m also willing to spring for 40% nitrox for additional safety as long as I could do the drill at least four times. After doing this drill, I would definitely do a long (suck the tank down) leisurely 25’ to 35’ dive to see the sights since I am already out there.

Thanks

Plan it out on tables and see what it says....
Oh wait, tables don't go as shallow as 25'. Hmmm, must be a reason for that. I wonder what that reason is.

Watch your ascent rates, and you got nothing to worry about. As long as your ears don't get tired of clearing, you can do it over and over indefinately.

Thanks!!! Twenty five feet not only made sense DCS safety-wise, but it is also a little harder to deploy an SMB the shallower you are. In other words…maximize the skills and minimize risk.

Practice from 15 ft hovering and due to just a small amount of expansion you should be able to pull the SMB back down without going up repeatedly. We do this while training people to deploy an SMB.

For this drill, I want to fill a Dive Rite five footer through my exhaust tee. It takes a fair amount of gas blow it up from 25 feet. I’ve done it before from 25 feet in the past, and to be honest with you it requires you to be not only comfortable with the mechanics the drill, but also be fast with execution in order get enough air in it before letting it go.

The tables don't show 25 feet. But I will tell you that you need to limit the number of ascents, and control them, or you won't feel good afterwards. I did a night of ascent drills where we never went deeper than 25 feet, but we did multiple ascents, and not all of them were well-controlled. Driving home, I felt as though I hadn't slept in a week -- my foot wanted to slip off the clutch at stop signs. I have NEVER been willing to do that many drills in one day again.

For this drill, I want to fill a Dive Rite five footer through my exhaust tee. It takes a fair amount of gas blow it up from 25 feet. I’ve done it before from 25 feet in the past, and to be honest with you it requires you to be not only comfortable with the mechanics the drill, but also be fast with execution in order get enough air in it before letting it go.

Do you use the Double Ender trick to deploy?

---------- Post added August 5th, 2013 at 09:47 PM ----------

The tables don't show 25 feet. But I will tell you that you need to limit the number of ascents, and control them, or you won't feel good afterwards. I did a night of ascent drills where we never went deeper than 25 feet, but we did multiple ascents, and not all of them were well-controlled. Driving home, I felt as though I hadn't slept in a week -- my foot wanted to slip off the clutch at stop signs. I have NEVER been willing to do that many drills in one day again.

Not a very scientific approach to the problem, lol. It could have been something you ate, a flu, bad sleep that night. Spouse could have poisoned you or had their way with you while you slept. Who knows.
I've done ascent after ascent when working as a diver for days at a time. Never showed any ill effects.

The best example I have was when I was working as a commercial diver in a Dam. My job was to tie the crane to the submerged tree and pull it out. I followed the trees up over and over and over, literally 100 times per day for a solid week. The tender would unhook the tree on land, and the crane operator would put the cable back in my hand, for me to go back down and tie it to another tree. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm trying to think if I have another personal example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom