• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Multiple cases of skin bends - what now?

Discussion in 'Ask Dr. Decompression' started by FindingMenno, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Allergic reaction to wetsuit?

2. mac64

mac64 Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    The first skin bend was classic, alcohol lowers the body’s core temperature and blood leaves the extremities to protect the vital organs, jump into a hot shower and the skin which is the largest organ in the body suddenly heats up resulting in a skin bend, I could be wrong but we were told never have a hot bath or shower after a deco dive, especially if you feel cold. My advice stay away from the booze if you plan on diving and you’ll be fine.

muzikbiz22 and Tippytoes12 like this.
  3. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Not just after a deco dive. After diving, period.

chillyinCanada and mac64 like this.
  4. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

I like to remember the adage that “all dives are deco dives,” and weigh how aggressive the diving may be along with possible contributory factors such as dehydration. I have on occasion dived the day after a boozy dinner, or after arriving on a long international flight, but limited myself to baby dives—nowhere near NDL. If I were doing a planned deco dive, I would avoid alcohol entirely. Not to mention hot tubs/showers.

To echo another reply, the second instance, which occurred 77 hours after the dive, is really intriguing. I have been under the impression that DCS appearing after about 48 hours is almost unheard of. Still, it has been said that the mechanism underlying skin bends may be different than other types of DCS, so who knows.

5. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

I'm not a doctor either nor am I a tech diver but I have had skin bends twice, with the mottling and deep tissue pain.

I lost pounds and have not had a recurrence. As was suggested earlier, you should definitely try losing 20# minimum.

Are you not going to be satisfied with being a recreational diver rather than proceeding on your tech journey?

My understanding is that your career is entirely in the dive business, though as much or more in management. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure who would be looking at you as less of a man . . .other than yourself. First, this is a physiology problem and has nothing at all to do with manliness. Fix your own thoughts on this matter and should you indeed have a "friend" that thinks you are less manly because of this, then let that person free from your life because they are not worthy of you. Nor does your "friend" have the right mindset for a diver. Remember, that anyone can call a dive at any time and no one is to look askance!

In your case, you may only be calling any future technical diving.

I'm sure that's personally disappointing but nothing that's worth dying or being crippled for.

As for your second bend, 77 hours later? I've never heard/read of such a thing. Are you positive that it was indeed a bend?

And did you ever have any deep tissue pain along with the mottling and itch on either occurrence?

RyanT, Altamira and Compressor like this.
  6. Duke Dive Medicine

Duke Dive Medicine Medical Moderator Staff Member

Hi Menno,

The first case *may* be explained, but I'm at a loss to explain the second. As you probably know, it would be highly unusual for DCS to manifest that far out, and it is almost certainly not due to dissolved gas. You could have had a subclinical DCS with some inflammation that was exacerbated by the physical exercise, but that's about all I can come up with. Your case may be deserving of a writeup in the literature, especially since the details are so well-documented. Tagging @Dr Simon Mitchell here - Simon, have you ever seen anything like this?

As to what that says about your future technical diving, if you're otherwise healthy, I don't see why you couldn't continue and dive more conservatively, but that's a recommendation best made by a physician who can examine you in person. Do you live on Grand Cayman?

Best regards,
    DDM

FindingMenno and Compressor like this.
  7. Compressor

Compressor ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Thank you Duke Dive Med.
    Common to both cases is a hot shower. I believe that this is not advisable as it may hasten bubble formation (DCS). But VERY unusual to have it so far after the dive unless it was subclinical. Is it possible you had DCS but did not realize it?

And as mentioned about intense physical activity which you describe could be a contributing factor.

I don't think one has to be a technical diver to be a happy diver. You've accomplished a lot and can/should be happy.

8. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I should have specified NDL dives. Is that better?

9. Compressor

Compressor ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    For new divers: ALL dives are decompression dives. Some have mandatory decompression stops; some don't.

ALL dives are decompression dives because there is ingassing with increase depth (thus pressure) and upon ascending, the pressure is reduced as one approaches the surface. If dive profile allows ascent to the surface without a stop, decompression is still occurring.

10. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

I understood. I just wanted to elaborate. The more aggressive the diving, the more careful we need to be about how we take care of our bodies before and after diving.

elgoog, Jack Hammer and Compressor like this.