Multiple Critter ID help - Pompano Beach Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

#4 was about 16 - 18 inches long. We found him on our night dive. After I shot 2 pictures of him (with flash of course) he headed straight for me and continued to be aggressive toward me for about a minute, til I was finally able to "push" him away with my fin. The rest of the dive he was continually in sight of one of the 5 of us (could usually see him in someone's light). The action reminded me of a trigger fish but I'm sure he is not a trigger. In my 250 dives I have never seen this color variation - though I thought that perhaps being at night might be a reason for the odd colors.

I just looked at the Humann book and the Orange Filefish appears to have a much longer tail than this one. Maybe it is the result of an illicit affair of an Orange Filefish and Whitespotted Filefish!

There is another picture here http://www.designbysue.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Pompano608&id=072_G
Sue

Last edited:
Fish often exhibit extrememly differnet coloration and pigment patterns at night or if they are highly stressed. That would be my guess on the slightly different coloration, as far as the tail goes it looks about right. As far as I can see it looks just like a regular ole orange filefish. Nice pictures though.

#4 looks like an orange filefish and #5 looks like a saddled blenny. The other ID options suggested for #4 and #5 don't fit the body layout of the pictured fish.

You can't always be 100% positive on an ID because certain ID keys may not be obvious, there are similar looking species, and there are many individual variations - not to mention crosss breeding at rare times. But I think it's safe to put these down in your logbook as an orange and a saddled.

graytrig.jpg
\\I am going with my first impression and say Grey Triggerfish! (Balistes capriscus) I don't see file fish or the size from the picture, and you can't tell size without reference! I do see a dip in the top dorsal fin in the middle like a trigger! Although there is no substitute for examination!

As far as the Blenny? It could be, but the pectoral fins are different, it could be a variation?

Well your first impression that you wrote was Ocean Triggerfish Canthidermis sufflamen. But that is neither here nor there. Gray Trigger I am sorry to say is completely off, not even the same family. Look at the dorsal, caudal, and anal fins also the mouth and head shape. All of which are completely off, and when was the last time a gray trigger was seen with any amount of orange or yellow on it as in the original picture.
Also just so you know I have had this ID confirmed by several other ichthyologists at my work. Papa Bear I have had nothing but respect for you in the past, you are usually correct and I usually agree with you on most of your ID's but this one just happens to be an exception to that.

Papa Bear, I'm joining the filefish camp. While I couldn't tell what kind of filefish this is, it clearly isn't a triggergish. Look again at the tail, which is shaped like a filefish or trunkfish tail, and is the wrong shape for a triggerfish tail & lacks the extended tips on the top & bottom. Also look at the relative position of the dorsal fins vs. the eye. They' re too far apart for a triggerfish.

Diver Dave is right #4 is an Orange Filefish. #5 is a Saddled Blenny. For those of you that are arguing that it is a Gray Triggerfish, or a Planehead Filefish, sorry your mistaken.

Well your first impression that you wrote was Ocean Triggerfish Canthidermis sufflamen. But that is neither here nor there. Gray Trigger I am sorry to say is completely off, not even the same family.

But they are in the same Order. I do agree that it's a filefish but filefish and trigger fish are very similar, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom