Mushroom-like creature in shallow water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Pansy?
sea pansy.jpg

Nothing even close to your suggestions, folks.

Let me try again. The main body of the creature is grey and kinda rigid with the top a bit textured, like the sand dollar's. The stem is smooth, long and flexible, greyish-purple, with a purple droplet shaped bulge at the end. It is likely that the stem was borrowed in the sand, but I am not sure. The waters at Jekyll are no more transparent than Latte.
Except for color this sounds like Stichodactyla helianthus. And idea of size would be helpful.

Sounds like that's what they were. Many corals and gorgonians can look completely different when closed. Especially soft corals and large polyp stonies.
Yes, thank you! I wonder why I've never seen them in Florida where they supposedly are found.

Yes, thank you! I wonder why I've never seen them in Florida where they supposedly are found.

No sure where in FL you are located, but they are primarily found along the east coast of FL, not the west. Also, they often bury themselves in sand and therefore are more likely to be seen when wave action uncovers them.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

I do not live in FL but dive there every year, mostly in the area from Riviera Beach to Dania Beach. Did couple of dives on the Gulf side also. Also did my share of fooling on shallow sandy beaches like in Bahia Honda Park, and never saw them. Also, they are not mentioned in the book on the subject that I have, Numann, DeDoach and Wilk's "Reef Creature Identification: Florida Caribbean Bahamas", 3d ed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom