Music

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rrweather

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am beginning to edit some video I took in Belize last week. My question deals with music. I am pretty sure using music is not allowed without permission from the owner. Whether or not you would ever have problems is questionable. The other option I've found is royalty free music, which is not cheap. Seems like the royalty free music caters to commercial uses. Is there a cheaper option? I remember reading somewhere that there was a site or service you could join to use their music--just don't remember what they were. My videos are all going to be posted to my site and perhaps youtube/vimeo, nothing commercial or income-producing. I'm not against paying for what I use but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars adding music to my videos. Thanks for the help.

Google royalty free music, or try jamendo.com or mix your own with Sonicfire or Cinescore.

If you just want a genre, and not a specific song, search the genre on MySpace.com, ie: "surf music". There are a lot of decent bands with original music that are looking for exposure and may allow you to use their recordings with the promise of credits at the end of the video, but make sure you get legally binding agreements to use their stuff.

A friend edited his trip to Hawaii with the songs of the Cowabunga! 4-cd set of surf music. He was advised of how much and how long a track can be used legally.

Thanks for the replies. I think jamendo was what someone mentioned in the other thread. It is difficult to easily know if you're allowed to use the music without permission. It says you can use it for your own private use. I would think that adding it to a video and posting the video to a site is not considered "private use." I'm not trying to rip anyone off.

I've looked at the royalty free music but it is expensive. Some of the music goes for over $100 for a 3 minute song. I'm not looking so spend that.

I will try to learn more about jamendo. Thanks again.

If you are creative, mixing your own is not that difficult. There is soundtrack generation software that does 90% of the hard part for you. Sonicfire and Cinescore work well. Although the music may not be the greatest, it's decent and you don't have to worry about royalty.

I used Cinescore for my Indonesia and Roatan videos.

If you are creative, mixing your own is not that difficult. There is soundtrack generation software that does 90% of the hard part for you. Sonicfire and Cinescore work well. Although the music may not be the greatest, it's decent and you don't have to worry about royalty.
I've just started using Sonicfire (because Cinescore is now no longer available) and while I don't have to worry about royalties, the tracks themselves are not cheap.

I don't have 1st hand experience with Sonicfire, but it apparently drove Cinescore out because of it's extensive music library. How much does the base software and individual tracks cost ?

I don't have 1st hand experience with Sonicfire, but it apparently drove Cinescore out because of it's extensive music library. How much does the base software and individual tracks cost ?

Base software is $99 and tracks are $19. 10 track discs are $99.

I guess it's all relative. I don't know what I was expecting but I was rather surprised to see 3-minute tracks going for $50-$100. I think the part that frustrates me is a commercial user that uses the music to generate income (in some way) is paying the same as someone like me--a person just trying to post some personal videos. If I were making money (indirectly) off the music, I would have no problems paying $100 per song, especially if the music were a business expense.

I believe (may be wrong) that some of the music off jamendo may work. It looks like you can use some of the music as long as you give credit to the artist. I figure if I list the artist and the jamendo site, I should be covered.

Freeplay specifically says you can use the music in the background of a slideshow but can not post it to the web. So that one is out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom