Musing on a winter afternoon - special use regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USdiver1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
First of all, I am a regulator hoarder/collector/addict, so there is that. Now, as a group we have discussed the finer points of regulator addiction and the 'best' regulator to own ad nauseam. Yet we also recognize that the 'best' regulator for a specific purpose also exists.

I'll give a couple of examples. I once worked as a harbor diver. It was dirty, nasty diving. On any given job I could be laying on my back, with my tank and first stage in the sand, scraping barnacles and other marine growth off the hull of a vessel, while a soup of the scrapings surrounded my mask/ second stage. I needed an environmentally sealed diaphragm first stage and an all plastic second to keep from swallowing mouthfuls of condensate during the long work hours. My regulator of choice was a US Divers Conshelf SE specifically because it was sealed against sand and the soup of barnacle/sea growth plus I could work oriented inverse of normal diving [body below my regulator] and not have the damn thing nearly drown me with exhalation condensate. It was and is one of the driest breathing second stages ever, maybe too much so for the average recreational diver, but I wasn't using it for that purpose.

Another example can be a back-up travel regulator for tropical destinations. My personal choice would be based on simplicity and reliability, an unbalanced piston first stage: SP Mk 2 [the non EVO version] coupled with a compact balanced 2nd stage: SP G500. This combination is a lightweight, powerhouse of a regulator, great for saving a dive trip if something happens to your primary regulator.

What are some of your special use regulators, and in which circumstances do they shine?

Regs are to your left?

gun_room.png

@lowwall: Is that an FN FAL, third from the end, lower rack?

For decades I loved to do Deep Air Dives in warm waters from time to time (max. 60 -100 m -200 - 330 feet).
I did about 60 of these dives and for me worked best for that purpuse my SP MK20- 25 - D350, whose breathing comfort ( of course especially the D350s) was extremely good at depth.
My first Deep Air Dives I did with my MK2 - SP 080 (HP) and only very few others with different regs, so it is just my personal preference, but I guess that is what the thread is about........

Is that an FN FAL, third from the end, lower rack?
Next to the phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range?

I don't remember. Next time I'm at the volcano lair, I'll take the sub and check.

Thanks for the correction, hard to tell with the goalie mask on.

I, too, dive the SE, and recently took up with a Mk2. Both are fine first stages with a port layout that I prefer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom