"Must" Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wcosue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are going to Cozumel the 1st part of Feb for 1 week. We are both OW certified with over 100+ dives. While moderate current does not bother us, VERY strong current or extreme technical dives are not our favorite type of diving. Does anyone have any "Must" dives that we need to make sure to do. And conversely any to avoid? We are also planning on doing 1-2 night dives - any suggestions. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

For me, Santa Rosa Wall is a must. There are also the "Columbia" and "Palancar" areas, with multiple dives at each location (Columbia Deep, Columbia Shallows, Palancar Gardens, Palancar Horseshoe, Palancar Caves, Palancar Bricks).

If you are staying at Scuba Club, there is a great night dive right off their pier. Lots to see, and most times very little to no current. You can also book a great night dive from their boat.

You may want to get a copy of Cozumel Dive Guide & Log book (www.cozumeldiveguide.com). It details all the various dive sites, and has some good charts for identification of the various corals, sponges, and fish.

Enjoy your trip !!

Divegoose

Devil's Throat!

(notice I didn't say whether it will be your 'must do' or 'avoid')

I think an easier way to answer your question would be to see if there's ant sort of a consensus on "meh" dives, or ones that I wouldn't care if I never went on again.

I'll start:

Delilah

Edit to add: I love Divegoose's list, but would add Cedral Wall and shallows.

The best dive in the "normal" part of Cozumel is the South Side of Punta Sur Reef on Nitrox 32, ending with a descent through the 118 ft exit of the Devil's Throat. Should be about 1 hour or more with HP 120 tanks.

Other places include the far north and mid channel caves of the sleeping sharks but current may not be to your liking.

Don't let the current inhibit your enjoyment....jump in, decend while clearing, regroup at the bottom and then be an astronaut doing a space walk...a only a bit slower than 17,500 mph:)

Let the current take you, don't fight it....hide behind coral If you need to stop or wait on others...

Current really varies from day to day and site to site. So it's difficult to suggest one site because on that particular day, the current might be very strong and you wouldn't like it. That said, I like nearly every site in Cozumel with the exception of the C-53 wreck. I will do it (and Devil's Throat) if that is what everyone else on the boat wants to do, but they will be my "meh" dives. I don't think you will find many dive ops in Coz wanting to take you on extreme technical dives....

I have not dove north, only south. But I don't think I can complain much about any of the dives I have been on in Coz. I love the shallows for all the sea life, but the caves or swim trough's and formations in the deeper dives are awesome too. Devils throat is a one time sort of dive for me. I dove it to say I did, but there wasn't really that much to see and it was a short dive.

Devils throat is a one time sort of dive for me. I dove it to say I did, but there wasn't really that much to see and it was a short dive.
Much depends on how your op does it, and your air consumption. I just looked at my log from the last time I did it...we went to 131 feet on 21% for 83 minutes. We crossed over to a shallow area about 1/3 of the way through the dive. I was using a steel 95 tank but many were using 120s. I

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom