Question Must-do dives from Khao Lak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ange2014

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello. I will be in Khao Lak in Feb and will have 4 full days available for diving. Please recommend me (advance diver certification with more than 150 dives but weak swimmer in currents) some MUST-DO dive sites (in order of priority) if I were to do 4 day trips.

Thank you in advance.

You could either do a short 3-4 nite liveaboard trip to the Similan/Surin islands or day boat trips from Khao Lak to some of the islands (usually two dives). Richelieu Rock, Koh Tachai, and Koh Bon are usually the highlights for most divers.

Seconding the vote for liveaboard to Richelieu Rock, but if your schedule doesn't allow it, you can do it on a day trip via speedboat. It's not as convenient, and you would miss the morning and sunset dives where you get extra fish action, but it's doable. Mind you, I've only ever done it via LoB, but I have seen a speedboat or two moored there quite often, so people are doing it.

Seconding the vote for liveaboard to Richelieu Rock, but if your schedule doesn't allow it, you can do it on a day trip via speedboat. It's not as convenient, and you would miss the morning and sunset dives where you get extra fish action, but it's doable. Mind you, I've only ever done it via LoB, but I have seen a speedboat or two moored there quite often, so people are doing it.
I do know someone who had just done that recently ie. speed boat to Similan on a day trip.

LoB to Similan.
But need to check the full schedule.
Good luck.
Looking to dive Similar Island and/or Richelieu Rock as a day trip. Can folks recommend any dive shops in Khao Lak?

Looking to dive Similar Island and/or Richelieu Rock as a day trip. Can folks recommend any dive shops in Khao Lak?
If you want to dive certain site eg. Richellieu Rock then it would be logical to check with various operators for the schedule. The Rock is a MUST.

Just did a flexible LoB on MV Lapat 3D/2N. Very recommended. Richelieu rock was a great experience, so full of life.

Also was on similan islands and koh bon. In the similan visibility was not great and there were a lot of jellyfish, also some crazy thermoclines going on. In Koh Bon the conditions were great, no jellyfish and good visibility. But i guess it varies greatly depending on the currents, guides on board were saying this year has been crazy, possibly due to strong el nino effects.

I think the best option for dive there is for sure a LoB, even just a night or 2. We had some people going to the boat just on a day trip and they just do 2 dives and go. Considering that just the trip to Rochelieu Rock is about 2h in a speedboat I don’t think is a very good option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom