Must read -- the Six Skills by Steve Lewis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the book about?

Well there are several reviews on my site (link in my signature) and they will give you an idea. However, by way of different explanation: It seems that lots of the folks who are interested in more advanced diving (technical or sport) have a slightly off-focus view of the skills that will help keep them safe. The average student for a technical program, comes into the experience with the wrong mindset and in many cases, they haven't carried over the smarts they use day-to-day in their work-life to their recreation. I've attempted to help sort that out based on the experiences learned from teaching technical dive programs since the early 1990s and recreational program before that. Additionally, the book covers three things I feel are important: What to expect from a dive course (and what the instructor expects from her student); A different way to think about and plan ascents (decompression... especially contingency deco); and risk identification, assessment and management.

Plus each chapter begins with a really cool quote! :wink:

Thanks for this appropriate review. I was recommended this book about diving but didn’t pay special attention to it at that time, since I didn’t think that I need to read a book to learn diving. Practice makes perfect! But I have changed this idea now. You know I am still standing on the board and never jump even once. You are right, this is a technical thing, you need to be armed with related knowledge.

Steve,
Thank you for your personally signed book. As a new diver (less than 200 dives) about to enter the realm of Tech diving, I must say after only getting half way through your book in the last 24 hours (since I received it). I am immensely impressed. For all the threads I've read on SB and the webs sites I've reviewed, I have learned more in the last 24 hours than 6 months of lurking on the internet. OK not perfect prose, but your information is all aimed and presented for the aspiring tech diver. Look forward to the second half of the book. This along with Deco for Divers, has been fantastic pre reading for my tech courses. I base my assessment on pre reading on an engineering degree and large amounts of study for an aviation career . You can never replace the real thing with theory but well written sir! Your Situational Awareness info is very relevent. After 8000 flying hours I can't put SA into words, but I can feel it as can many experienced tech divers and aviators. Always believe your gut no matter what your doing in life, it's saved my ass a few times.
Regards,
Damian

Steve,
Thank you for your personally signed book. As a new diver (less than 200 dives) about to enter the realm of Tech diving, I must say after only getting half way through your book in the last 24 hours (since I received it). I am immensely impressed. For all the threads I've read on SB and the webs sites I've reviewed, I have learned more in the last 24 hours than 6 months of lurking on the internet. OK not perfect prose, but your information is all aimed and presented for the aspiring tech diver. Look forward to the second half of the book. This along with Deco for Divers, has been fantastic pre reading for my tech courses. I base my assessment on pre reading on an engineering degree and large amounts of study for an aviation career . You can never replace the real thing with theory but well written sir! Your Situational Awareness info is very relevent. After 8000 flying hours I can't put SA into words, but I can feel it as can many experienced tech divers and aviators. Always believe your gut no matter what your doing in life, it's saved my ass a few times.
Regards,
Damian

Appreciate the feedback. The chapter on Situational Awareness may have been the most challenging to write but I felt it was hugely important; in part because few diving books discuss it yet it is integral to ANY high-risk endeavor. Be well!

....//..... It seems that lots of the folks who are interested in more advanced diving (technical or sport) have a slightly off-focus view of the skills that will help keep them safe. The average student for a technical program, comes into the experience with the wrong mindset and in many cases, they haven't carried over the smarts they use day-to-day in their work-life to their recreation. ....//.....

Rematch on the solo course. Your turf. Next year. I'll be there. (I tend to learn quickly and overcompensate.)

....//..... Plus each chapter begins with a really cool quote! :wink:

Heinlein's quote is the best.

Rematch on the solo course. Your turf. Next year. I'll be there. (I tend to learn quickly and overcompensate.)

Heinlein's quote is the best.

Stay in touch buddy... see you next season... unless you wanna come down to dive in Florida this winter!

No, not enough time need much practice. Hard line.

Solo in Tobermory or nothing!

(-you're killing me, I LOVE the caves...)

Tobermory!??? I usually choose to work the St. Lawrence River during the summer and fall... but if you wanna do Tobermory, we can probably arrange it.

nice one.

Hi there tiny... LOL... not sure what's a nice one. I hope my book but am not sure!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom