My Atomic X1 Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I am finally here with my Current Atomic X1 Blade fin Review. (This is my second writing, I hit the wrong button on my mouse and deleted my first review, so a little frustrated I typed it twice)

Who - I am a 44 year old, Soccer Coach, weighing in at 168lbs and 5'7" with a 9 1/2 4E wide foot.. I have been swimming since I was 2, competing in Diving, Swimming and water polo from 6 to 18. Is this important, I think it is, when reference Power and fatigue.

What - Atomic X1 Blades with Atomic Spring Straps (stolen from me Atomic Split Fins) Large.
WP_20160705_13_24_39_Pro.jpg

Why - My Split fins do not give me the power and versatility that I want as I have progressed through my diving experience. I have tried several Fins, while the Mares at the time gave me what I wanted, by the end a of day, they where killing my feet, Just to Narrow. I stole My Sons Atomic Blade Fins, and really loved them in the open water. However they do not like them in Caverns, and Wrecks.

Please Note Due to unfortunate event, I had to dive the new X1's using my Aqualung boots, instead of my Bare Boots.
superzip_ergo.png Bare Boots.png
Is this important, YES, I am pretty darn sure, yes it is.

So starting here and why this means something. Beach and Grotto dives, the Aqualung boots fit just fine in the new X1's. Where my problem comes in is Boat dives. Of my 12 boat dives over the last 5 days, the X1s stayed on my feet during drop 3 times. The 9 other drops, at least 1 fin slid right off my feet.

I believe this is do to the added height to the boot hole on the X1 fin. I adjusted the Spring Strap to their tightest position, and while better, still have them pop of. Also, at this tightness level, my right foot toes got crunched at the front. I do believe this may be resolved once I get some new Bare Boots (or your heavy duty preference boot). The Width of the Boot is on par with the Original Blade fins, and I never had a fin pop of during drop.
WP_20160705_13_22_31_Pro.jpg WP_20160705_13_14_01_Pro.jpg

Once in the Water and Ready to Go, the X1's performed as advertised. Alternate Kicking styles, surface swimming where definitely better then the Original Atomic Blade fins. I also believe that they where more powerful using various kicking styles. During our heavy current dive on the Lady Luck 7/24/2016, I had no problems maneuvering and swimming through the current.

The Original Blade Fins IMO, are a great fin. I never had leg fatigue after 6 dives in a day, got to bed, and wake up feeling great the next day. Though in heavy current they seemed to give more then the Mares.

The X1's, on the other hand, thrived in the current. While my legs did feel it more then the Originals Blades, be no means, where my legs as tired as when using my Mares. Yes, I swam against the current a lot, for a reason. I wanted to know how these would perform.

Could the fin slipping off just be a problem with my foot, Yes. Do I believe a better boot will fix it, Yes.

Am I satisfied with the X1 Blades, Yes and No. Until I get some new boots, I am a little bummed. Once I get those and dive again, things may change. As stated, once in the water they are a great fin, just need to get in the water with the fins staying on.
WP_20160705_13_16_33_Pro.jpg WP_20160705_13_23_08_Pro.jpg WP_20160705_13_23_23_Pro.jpg WP_20160705_13_35_37_Pro.jpg

Thanks for posting this.

In the picture of the Mares and X1, it looks like the X1 foot pocket is simply too big. It looks a lot more loose on your foot than the Mares does. In the picture of the X1 and Blade, the picture is from too far away and I can't blow it up, so I can't tell if the foot pockets fit the same or not.

Your review implies that the X1 foot pocket IS bigger than the Blade foot pocket. I'm assuming the fins are marked as the same size. Is the X1 foot pocket truly bigger than the Blade foot pocket?

Thanks for posting this.
Your review implies that the X1 foot pocket IS bigger than the Blade foot pocket. I'm assuming the fins are marked as the same size. Is the X1 foot pocket truly bigger than the Blade foot pocket?

Yes, the X1 Pocket is Taller then Blade, but the width is the same. The X1's are both taller and wider then the Mares. This is buy design, so that it will fit Dry Suit wearers. All three Fins are Size Large. I could have added pictures of my Atomic Spit Fins as well, let me know if you need the added reference.

Again, I do like the X1's, I just think you need the right boot for them. Us South Florida Tropical divers, use a lot of 1mm booties. I am trying to get some new boot now, but the new 2 new Bares I had come in did not fit right at all, hoping to do some shopping for some this weekend.

Interesting. Are the X1s still neutral buoyancy, like the Blades?

I use Hollis F1 fins for my dry suit. They are very negative, which I need with my dry suit. If the X1s are neutral, I would be considering them to replace my Atomic Blades. But, not if they made the foot pocket taller. My Blades fit me in my wet suit booties very well.

The X1 web page says it has a "taller foot pocket", but it doesn't say what that is in comparison to. Taller than the original Blade? I presume so.

It also says the side rails are low-profile and they has a shorter, stiffer blade. But again they don't say in comparison to what. I guess we have to assume they are comparing it to the original Blade.

Is the side rail on the X1 shorter (i.e. lower profile) than the side rail on the original Blade? It seems like that would make them not as good for back kicks. Are you somewhat proficient at back kicks? How do you think the X1 and Blade compare for back kicks?

The fins are just too big. They may have made it so it would fit the few people who dive dry but the 98% who do not will find the pocket a bad fit. The fin makers are going overboard with the giant foot pockets. I do not wear Keds when I dive.

N

The fins are just too big. They may have made it so it would fit the few people who dive dry but the 98% who do not will find the pocket a bad fit. The fin makers are going overboard with the giant foot pockets. I do not wear Keds when I dive.

N

Yeah. And how many people who dive dry really want neutral fins? I want negative fins and it seems like I've read a number of posts from other people who say the same thing. I can't remember ever reading where someone wrote that they prefer neutral fins when they dive dry.

N

Slightly off topic but...

Totally agree, what's with the gigantic foot pockets F2s, Accels...heavy fins for dry suit diving I get but fins marketed at warm water travel diving I don't get.

Yeah. And how many people who dive dry really want neutral fins? I want negative fins and it seems like I've read a number of posts from other people who say the same thing. I can't remember ever reading where someone wrote that they prefer neutral fins when they dive dry.

After what happened to this young lady on the Lady Luck a few weeks ago, I think I will go with Positive Fins. She jumped in, heading to the line and some idiot knocked her fins off, never to be seen again. I was wearing a 3mm full and a LP85 I sunk to the bottom with a whopping 4lbs weights. Could I have used Less, maybe but lots of new gear and a 4 knot current.

As for the Bigger pocket, Again I prefer it. With the right boots I hope this to be very comfortable. Many other fins are too tight on my foot, even bare footed.

I prefer neutral fins when diving dry. I don't like any extra weight away from my core.

I prefer buoyant fins diving dry, or wet for that matter my legs sink like rocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom