My Birthday Dive September 12 - Lake Erie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Red

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Buffalo, NY formerly from Ontario, Canada
# of dives
500 - 999
It's that time of year again!
Last year I arranged a dive at Kirkfield and 21 divers showed up - Wowsers...
So this year I've booked a charter for a two tank dive on
The Benson and the Raleigh near Port Colborne...Next year? ah well could be a salty tale

Read on

The Benson, a wooden schooner was built in 1873 in Port Clinton, Ohio. At a length of 136' and a beam of 26' she was loaded with coal when a fierce storm claimed the ship and her 7 passengers on October 14, 1893.

Located approximately 4 miles off Port Colborne, Ontario and at a depth of only 85' the Benson makes for an exciting and interesting dive.

and

The Raleigh, a 227' wooden steamer was built at the shipyard of Quale and Martin in Cleveland, Ohio in 1871. Damaged by severe winds on November 30, 1911 she sank in approximately 30' of water just off Sherkston beach and 4 miles east of Port Colborne.

This site provides the diver with lots of exciting exploring and with the improved visibility available in the Great Lakes and in particular Lake Erie you will find the Raleigh one of the easiest and most enjoyable dives in the region. You will find abundant marine life and many things to see as you make your way around the wreck.

The water should be delightfully warm - a 3 mil should suffice ... no need for BD suit dives :eyebrow:

Post your interest and I'll PM you the details.
RED

I'd be interested, Chris, if I'm back from the canoe trip by then (think it's sometime either the week prior or the week after)

My only issue is whether or not I'll have my advanced card in my hand by then........ I might have to just bring in a note from my instructor. :D

d33ps1x:
I thought there were no insured charter boats in that area anymore? Never done those wrecks. It would be neat to see them but the lack of legal charter services was holding things up for me.

Let me know if you find one Chris.

Hey there buddy ole pal,

OTE just happens to be insured. We also run to the Benson and the Raleigh. In fact, we were able to help ensure the mooring lines were put out by schauffering Ian Marshall (the mooring GOD) to the wrecks.

If you're interested in going out, just PM me and we'll see what we can set up.

Lisa (OTE's better half)

There are a couple "charter" boats that service the Port Colborne end of the lake. However, they operate by saying the passengers on the boat are "friends" or "guests". They don't have the required certifications from the govrnment for operations. I haven't heard of anyone here that does have the blessing of the government, with the exception of OTE. But, then his boat is trailerable. You could count me in if something gets setup for a run to the wrecks. After this week I am off the next couple of weekends.

By the way since this was Chris's birthday thread: Happy Birthday Chris

d33ps1x:
Cool. Now I am all confused. Doesn't he go to Brockville for the summer? Hard to keep track.

We'll give you a shout then when I return from my dive trip.

He kept the boat in the Niagara Region this summer. There was something carved into my memory from other threads. Oh yeah, Tiller trips at 8, 10, 12, and 2 :wink:

Abyssdive:
He kept the boat in the Niagara Region this summer. There was something carved into my memory from other threads. Oh yeah, Tiller trips at 8, 10, 12, and 2 :wink:

Shouldn't you be working......bad abyssdive.....

And to my knowledge we haven't been running that schedule for some time.....

The boat is booked in Brockville for a few weekends still this year but we're mostly running out of Niagara....(I'd like to think I had something to do with that....but probably not)

We're able to trailer the boat anywhere our services are required......

DiveMistress2:
The boat is booked in Brockville for a few weekend still this year but we're mostly running out of Niagara....(I'd like to think I had something to do with that....but probably not)

Do you mean you lost the keys to the trailer ball again?

hehehehe

DiveMistress2:
We're able to trailer the boat anywhere our services are required......

How about Quebec.........like maybe Pointe-Au-Pere?

Wouldn't THAT be sweet.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom