My Blackbeard's Cruise Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wonderful review! Have always wanted to camp at sea but I’m not sure I’m made out of such rugged material. Do you mind telling me how the washroom and shower situation is like?

Thanks for the trip report. I was on the Aquacat (for the 5th time) in late October / early November and undoubtedly dove many of the same sites.

I kinda wanted to see if I'd feel narc'd going past 100 feet, but I didn't feel anything (though as I understand it, you may not notice anyway). I figured while I was diving with 2 dive buddies was a good time to see if I'd feel anything deeper though. That and the whole "why not hit recreational limits once"...

Just the sort of reasons I took the Deep Diver specialty in Bonaire on one trip; I've read accounts on Scuba Board of narc'd divers getting confused or amnestic at depth without realizing it, and someone intervening to get confused divers shallower before they ran out of air. I've never subjectively felt narced at depth, or been told I looked out of it to observers, but I agree...it's a good idea to at least start out with supervision, being mindful I'm told narcosis susceptibility varies day to day and possibly in context of recent diving.

Congrats.s on hitting the Bahamas; I'd like to try that someday.

Richard.

..Do you mind telling me how the washroom and shower situation is like?

Quite primitive! It truly is camping at sea. You use a temperamental marine head and the only shower stall on the boat has 2 shower heads - one for salt water and one for fresh water. You are instructed to soap up with salt water and then quickly rinse off with fresh water - no more often than once per day. We ran out of fresh water after a few days and that was the end of the fresh water rinses. But there is a condensate hose at the back of the boat that you can use to rinse off.

I wrote a description of the Blackbeard's trip we did a long time ago at the link below. It was great fun, good diving, and an excellent bargain. I am glad that we did it but it helped us to determine that we prefer a private cabin with ensuite head and shower - even though it costs more.

But whenever someone on scubaboard posts saying they want to do a lot of good diving cheaply - I tell them to look into a Blackbeard's cruise. Plus you don't have to worry about paying a single supplement if you are traveling alone because the sleeping arrangements are dormitory style.

We saw sharks on our trip but they didn't do the shark feeding dive back when we were onboard.

If I ever did another BB cruise I would insist on having my own bunk, even if it is narrow, because 2 people sharing a 48 in wide double bunk in the galley provided little rest or storage space.

FYI, I don't think that they offer nitrox so you would be diving air.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/7309799/

Last edited:
Quite primitive! You use a temperamental marine head and the only shower stall on the boat has 2 shower heads - one for salt water and one for fresh water. You are instructed to soap up with salt water and then quickly rinse off with fresh water - no more than once per day. We ran out of fresh water after a few days and that was the end of the fresh water rinses. But there is a condensate hose at the back of the boat that you can use to rinse off.

I wrote a description of the Blackbeard's trip we did a long time ago at the link below. It was great fun, good diving, and an excellent bargain. I am glad that we did it but it helped us to determine that we prefer a private cabin with ensuite head and shower - even though it costs more.

But whenever someone on scubaboard posts saying they want to do a lot of good diving cheaply - I tell them to look into a Blackbeard's cruise. Plus you don't have to worry about paying a single supplement if you are traveling alone. They sleeping arrangements are dormitory style.

We saw sharks on our trip but they didn't do the shark feeding dive back when we were onboard.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/7309799/

Thanks @KathyV , looks like we’ll need to pay extra for the Aquacat, but at more than twice as expensive, I understand why the Blackbeard’s is so popular!

Thanks @KathyV , looks like we’ll need to pay extra for the Aquacat, but at more than twice as expensive, I understand why the Blackbeard’s is so popular!

Me too! But Blackbeard's is a good bargain, and it is exactly as advertised - you just have to know what to expect when you sign on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the trip report. I was on the Aquacat (for the 5th time) in late October / early November and undoubtedly dove many of the same sites.

Yeah. My dive buddy for the trip was on the Aqua Cat 6 years ago and remembered diving some of the same spots. Since it can go faster it hits some spots that the Morning Star and Sea Explorer don't generally go to from what I heard from him and the crew.

The Cat Ppalu is our 3-star luxury option departing from Nassau to the Exumas. It is typically by full boat or half boat charter only, but we do have individual trips occasionally. The individual rate is $1,695 per person. At this time we have an individuals trip scheduled for May 12-18, 2018. We will likely be adding some additional dates that are geared toward our Citizen Scientist Program.

allstarliveaboards.com/catppalu

Wonderful review! Have always wanted to camp at sea but I’m not sure I’m made out of such rugged material. Do you mind telling me how the washroom and shower situation is like?
It can be done on deck as well. Little soap/shampoo and a garden hose.

Aquacat is, IMHO, worth the extra. It is a great boat & the crew is fantastic. The diving will be pretty much the same as the Cat Ppalu or Blackbeard's, but the amenities are so much nicer. It also has Nitrox which I don't think Blackbeard's has and with 4-5 dives per day is a nice thing to have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom