My broken leg...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You looked like you were in pretty good spirits and had good care considering the circumstances.
Beqa Lagoon really cared. So did the Invasion Crew. They helped me be a part of the crew even though I couldn't dive. I truly believe that life is what you make it. You can be dour when things don't go your way, alienating those around you, or maintain a positive attitude where peeps are happy to be around you. I choose being happy.
Do you always plan your Scubaboard shirts to match the walls of a hospital? You totally wore it better.
That was funny. I put that shirt on Friday night, and finally got to take it off Tuesday night when I reached Volivoli. @Moose said he packed a full change of clothes. It included a dress shirt and a swimsuit. Rly? Rly? A change of underwear and another t-shirt would have been awesome. :D :D :D
I have been out of the water since March
Pete how long do you expect it will be before you are back in the water?
Aqua therapy is awesome. When I had Achilles tendon surgery, I skipped all the PT and hit the pool. After about a month, I dove twice a week. Very careful in and out, but the finning worked the ankle without stressing it. In the pool, I started walking neck deep and carefully graduated to chest, waist and so on. This was EVERY day. The doctor was amazed that there was absolutely no atrophy: a first for him. I repeated it when I popped the other Achilles tendon. I am headed to the springs tomorrow and will be diving in about a week.
I remember that last time you broke your leg. The servers were next to Dayo in Winter Park and you were getting around on the 'leg-scooter'. Hope this time it's the other leg. Heal fast my friend!!
That was the second Achilles. I am using that same knee scooter when I go shopping or have to cover large distances. I use crutches for close quarters like the house or rugged terrain like getting to the workshop. I also use my Hustler Raptor SD (zero turn mower) for longer distances outside.
Pete, bad topic! This also puts your cave country house topic on hold, which I enjoyed more than this one....
Much to my daughter's chagrin, I am still managing to get outside and do some work. One of the baffles came loose on the Hustler mower deck. I can only work on it an hour at a time, but I've removed the deck, had the neighbor flip it over, ground the welds and removed the two baffles. I even sharpened three blades and will be putting them on, flipping the deck and reattach it to the Hustler. I hope to get mowing my 10.82 acre lawn today or tomorrow. MAN, that grass is high. Great thing about a zero turn, is that you move, stop and steer with your hands. Yes, I do have to use the right foot to lower the deck, but that's the good leg.

Aqua therapy is awesome. When I had Achilles tendon surgery, I skipped all the PT and hit the pool. After about a month, I dove twice a week. Very careful in and out, but the finning worked the ankle without stressing it. In the pool, I started walking neck deep and carefully graduated to chest, waist and so on. This was EVERY day. The doctor was amazed that there was absolutely no atrophy: a first for him. I repeated it when I popped the other Achilles tendon. I am headed to the springs tomorrow and will be diving in about a week.

Are you saying that the fin work helped? Makes me want to get in the water and try. Problem is my done is fixed, but my tendon is still trying to attach itself.

Are you saying that the fin work helped? Makes me want to get in the water and try. Problem is my done is fixed, but my tendon is still trying to attach itself.
I can't promise for anyone else, but it was awesome for me. You can kick as easy or as hard as you like. There's no weight on it, so hurting yourself is kind of hard. Getting in and out was tricky, but I was careful. I remember his words "This is where I'm supposed to yell at you for not doing PT, but this is the first time I've ever done this surgery without any atrophy. It's simply amazing and someone should write a paper on it." On the second Achilles tendon, he didn't even write a prescription for physical terrorism. Just told me to do what I had done before. It worked then too.

Physical Terrorism..lol

Never heard it called that before. Embrace the pain! Work through it! It's only in your mind. Well, not really but we can pretend.

Here's the thing. I don't have insurance and travel insurance only pays while you're away from home and now I'm home. I've been successful twice now with aqua-therapy when I had insurance, and I'm more than willing to go that route again. I think more people should take responsibility for getting better, but they blindly rely on others. No one is more interested in my recovery than I am. My aqua-therapy will be tailored to my needs, including intensity and duration. I am constantly exercising in my recliner even now. So, unless I develop a complication, I'll be doing this on my own with the help of my daughter. A good friend suggested that I was simply stubborn. I pointed out that it's more than that. I am driven to get active again and back in the water. He thought that driven was probably a better word for it.

Here's the thing. I don't have insurance

Risky. Before I met my now girlfriend I had a catastrophic policy with low premiums and high deductibles. The monthly premiums aren't astronomical and you won't be looking at say a $100,000 bill for unexpected surgery or whatever. Most of those high deductible plans allow you to put around $7k into an HSA which are tax deductable dollars so in effect the US Government is paying up to 40% of your noncovered medical expenses. If you never use that money for medical expenses it can be used for other purposes in the future and you keep the write offs. Now that me and my girlfriend are legal domestic partners, I'm under her work supplied health insurance. Wonder how many people don't know they can do that.

Let me know if you need a Hand with anything.

ZQhVzIRt7cZphRlg0v-Xk2CDTGdrVMh_byGgzRd-s8SlIuY4c-EPhyizvLLzzOV6il8uUEQb1ZkWI4zDPnQ=w616-h821-no.jpg

I think we are both "screwed" now!!!!

Not really. Those who stay on the couch never get hurt. Most of my surgeries are from worn out parts, again from not staying on the couch. Here's a meme I made to express my thoughts on this...

I was saying her .....sounds like she is beyond getting off the couch. Lol

Me, I've only broken something once. For some reason when crazy **** happens to me I've been lucky even when I shouldn't have been. She kinda sounds like me but is probably into less extreme things as I'm currently trying to explore wing suits lol

Back
Top Bottom