My Coral tempered glass diving mask. Are they out of business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapnFox

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I own a Coral tempered glass diving mask. It's very special to me not just because the tempered glass makes for amazing visibility. It was my grandmothers diving mask when she went on her tropical adventures. It must be 20-30 years old if I had to guess. It's been a very trust worthy mask but the strap on it snapped and the rubber around the face seal is starting to crack. I wanted to contact Coral about it but I can't find them anywhere. Have they gone out of business? If so is there anyway to replace the strap and fix the wear on the rubber? It's a shame I would have to hang up such an old mask.

The mask looks like this
IeVDAWS.jpg

A nice story there about grandma, made me smile.

I would give up the search, all you'll find are units in similar decay, kind of old technology in material as well as design. You're not likely to find rubber or thick tempered glass plate, certainly not on requiring a stainless locking band. The large volume of air trapped inside has been eliminated with design evolution.

One of its advantages was the incrementally wider field of view as compared to its contemporary competitors. This plus is now provided by many masks as they have gotten to be much smaller volume (trapped sir) placing the faceplate lens much closer to the eyeball.

Hit it it with some Armor All and put it in the book case with grandma's picture. Go buy a new mask.

They only make the oval vintage style now days:
tn_msk114.jpg

You'll find it on many sites. Trident & A Plus Marine distribute it, which means many Dive Shops will be able to order one for you.

I've snorkelled for over half a century and I've never been a fan of modern underwater swimming equipment, much preferring to use a simple snorkel, an oval mask and traditional full-foot fins of the type more common in bygone years when I swim in the North Sea. I also enjoy doing online research on the continued availability of such equipment, finding almost 70 old-school masks potentially still in production on the Web.

I don't believe Coral is still trading, or at least they don't market their old-school style of dive masks any more. The closest shape-wise match to your grandmother's mask may be the Mirage Pro Dive:
prodivem0025hr.jpg

See: Cape Byron Sports Rubber Snorkeling Masks Pro Dive M0025

However, the mask is intended for the Australian market, it comes with a plastic frame and there's no purge valve. If you're prepared to settle for another vintage-style model with a compensator feature, you might consider:

1. IST Aquila
b_istm2msk.jpg

See: IST Aquila Rubber One Window Nose Purge Mask

2. IST Tortuga
41ulXiI9KpL.jpg

See: Amazon.com : IST Tortuga Rubber Traditional single lens mask : Diving Masks : Sports & Outdoors

3. Oceanways Pacific
41XjZHApBmL.jpg

See: Amazon.com : Oceanways Classic Pacific Mask Black Rubber : Diving Masks : Sports & Outdoors

The following Cressi Pinocchio mask is such a classic that it has never been out of production since it was launched in the 1950s:
pinocchioG.jpg

See: CRESSI PINOCCHIO MASK

So there's still plenty to choose from in the way of vintage-style dive masks if you know where to look.

Last edited:
The Aqualung Atlantis is very similar, in fact I believe the Coral was a copy of a slightly different older Atlantis mask.

Atlantis

Thanks for the replies guys It's really been informative. I guess I will have to hang up the mask in a case. But atleast there are similar alternatives, I don't think I'll ever want to give up the clear view I get from behind the glass of this mask.

Thanks for the replies guys It's really been informative. I guess I will have to hang up the mask in a case. But atleast there are similar alternatives, I don't think I'll ever want to give up the clear view I get from behind the glass of this mask.

Any mask with a tempered glass lens, which all do except for kiddie masks, will give a clear view and the modern designs offer less volume, better nose pocket for equalization and a wider view.

Ventura+

Reactions: Doc
Try: Hollis M1 Frameless Mask 205-4500-07

"The M1 Mask raises the bar for optical quality and distortion free vision. The extra crystal clear Saint-Gobain Diamant Tempered Glass Single Lens is valued for its attractive appearance and optical qualities. The low iron content produces a Higher light transmittance and a reduced green tint inherent in other glass. This makes the lens distortion free and helps improve color and visibility in low light conditions underwater."

Other tempered glass masks from leisure pro (as a reference):

Omer Alien Spear-Fishing & Diving Mask

Tusa Freedom HD Mask

Cressi Big Eyes Clear Skirt Mask

Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask, Clear Skirt

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-osbmz3/omer-zero-3-mask

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrsmt/mares-tana-mask

and many more...

Are you sure you are not trolling and actually opened google?

I own a Coral tempered glass diving mask. It's very special to me not just because the tempered glass makes for amazing visibility.

If I read the original poster correctly, "tempered glass" is only one of a number of desirable mask features up for consideration. My take on it is that the OP is seeking something traditional and more closely resembling the Coral mask in appearance and material rather than a modern low-volume design with tempered glass lens(es).

Well, actually I think the OP like to fix the mask and keep using it. Replacing the strap with something functional and generally similar looking should be doable, but not sure if the mask itself, where the rubber seal is said to be cracking, is repairable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom