My dad's old spearguns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Lawyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Cleaning out the old family home recently and found a few spearguns that belonged to my late father.

Going to try and clean them up, put new barrels on, etc.. I figure that out of everything I might get one operational gun. :)

146VPa.jpg

Near as I can figure the two Voits are from the 1950's or early 1960's (I have photos of both my brothers posing with those guns and fish in that time frame). I think one is a Healthways from the 1970's. The JBL is from the 1980's. Here I am about age 7 or 8 with one of the Voits in the 60's. Skinny little kid wasn't I? :)

IrMh0Q.jpg

Going to try and clean them up, put new barrels on, etc.. I figure that out of everything I might get one operational gun. :)
Pretty cool. I figure you’ll probably end up with more than one operational. The JBL will most definitely be operational at the end. Even if you do break something, you could probably get replacements, as JBL still makes something similar.

For the others, go slow. I’d start by soaking the trigger mech in a light oil to try to free up any stuck parts. I don’t think you’ll find any parts around for those, apart from bands.

What a terrible idea

Clean only the dirt off, wipe some oil around and display them on a wall somewhere with the photos

You have no idea turning them into scrap is disrespectful so consult a restorer and get them restored

@Scuba Lawyer

What a terrible idea

Clean only the dirt off, wipe some oil around and display them on a wall somewhere with the photos

You have no idea turning them into scrap is disrespectful so consult a restorer and get them restored

@Scuba Lawyer

If he is careful taking them apart, and I bet he is, he could still do that if he can't get them operational.

I am positivity and support for all in everything but this

Going to try and clean them up, put new barrels on, etc.. I figure that out of everything I might get one operational gun.

I respect both of you, but I don't even want him to work on his stuff

Sometimes they're best left like mine to bathe in the preservative that time provides

Life guarded by silent sentinels

full.jpg

in the words of that other lawyer Harmon Rabb Jnr

Don't let your ambitions overtake your capabilities

I respect both of you, but I don't even want him to work on his stuff

Thank you. That is all the impetus I need to tear these guns down to their individual parts and bring them back to their former glory. :)

Don't let your ambitions overtake your capabilities

I can assure you that my capabilities in this kind of restoration are exceptional. As for Harman Rabb, I would have defeated him on most every one of his fictional cases and sent him whimpering from the Courtroom. :)

That said, I do appreciate the concept of preserving old dive gear for future generations. Sam Miller also told me to hang them on the wall but Sam can attest to the fact I don't follow advice or direction very well. :)

Thank you. That is all the impetus I need to tear these guns down to their individual parts and bring them back to their former

I can assure you that my capabilities in this kind of restoration are exceptional. As for Harman Rabb, I would have defeated him on most every one of his fictional cases and sent him whimpering from the Courtroom. :)

That said, I do appreciate the concept of preserving old dive gear for future generations. Sam Miller also told me to hang them on the wall but Sam can attest to the fact I don't follow advice or direction very well. :)

Willing to bet that JBL needs nothing more than new bands and shooting line. Maybe a new spear point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom